A&H

Belated review of first five games

benmc

Level 7 Referee
I attended the basic referee course in February. I've come into refereeing later in life (late 30s). I just managed my five games in before the end of the season (took an age for DBS check to come through), so I'll start thebnew season as L7. My five games were two u13 games and three open age. No sin bins, one yellow and no reds.

One thing I have noticed is my tolerance level for dissent may have been too high, particularly in the open age games (but not exclusively). At least one of the open age games started to get a little out of control and some earlier chats, a sin bin or even a yellow card may have calmed things. I know there were a few other things for me to work on - positioning and keeping up with play made my "selling" of some decisions harder.

I did feel that my later games went better, but I wonder if that is down to the nature of the games (nothing to play for end of season games), or if I did l more to keep control. Home team gave me a glowing report for the last match (not so sure the away did, they got my only yellow that stopped them from getting fair play award for the league).

I've looked though older threads, but I'm intrigued as to how useful you've all found sin bins in managing/setting a clear threshold for dissent? I get the sense that sin bins are a rarity in my county (Northumberland)!

My plan next season is to keep a mix of open and youth football, so equally any advice on how you alter your approach for younger players. I've encountered a few who like to argue back their point and my chats with them didn't seem to help.

The Referee Store
More folks are getting sin bins from me next season.

This year was my first full season and a bit like you I think my tolerance is a bit too high. I didn't have too many games where I think I need to use it, but there were definitely a few games where after the match I wish I'd used it.

As for youth games, the same applies, but I tend to find they respond better to the earlier warnings.

I attended the basic referee course in February. I've come into refereeing later in life (late 30s). I just managed my five games in before the end of the season (took an age for DBS check to come through), so I'll start thebnew season as L7. My five games were two u13 games and three open age. No sin bins, one yellow and no reds.

One thing I have noticed is my tolerance level for dissent may have been too high, particularly in the open age games (but not exclusively). At least one of the open age games started to get a little out of control and some earlier chats, a sin bin or even a yellow card may have calmed things. I know there were a few other things for me to work on - positioning and keeping up with play made my "selling" of some decisions harder.

I did feel that my later games went better, but I wonder if that is down to the nature of the games (nothing to play for end of season games), or if I did l more to keep control. Home team gave me a glowing report for the last match (not so sure the away did, they got my only yellow that stopped them from getting fair play award for the league).

I've looked though older threads, but I'm intrigued as to how useful you've all found sin bins in managing/setting a clear threshold for dissent? I get the sense that sin bins are a rarity in my county (Northumberland)!

My plan next season is to keep a mix of open and youth football, so equally any advice on how you alter your approach for younger players. I've encountered a few who like to argue back their point and my chats with them didn't seem to help.
We suggest to new referees they should set the acceptability bar early in the game, making it clear that the sin bin will be used if dissent continues. That approach should work. If not, the first sin bin is often the only one needed in the game.
Keep enjoying!

You don't say what age of youth. But typically by the age that a glare or a talking to don't work, they are absolutely old enough to be cautioned for their behavior (and if applicable under local rules, a nice time out in the sin bin). As @ChasObserverRefDeveloper says, usually the ref being clear that he will caution/sin-bin inappropriate behavior has a way of stopping it.

Aside: I was AR for a 12U playoff game, and a coach went overboard about a call. I told him to knock it off, and he sort of went after me telling me only the Ref could tell him what to do. I know the ref well, called him over and told him the coach needed a caution. He simply pulled out the card, showed it, and moved on. No more problems. (Sure, he didn't shake hands after the game, and a parent complained to the league that it was outrageous that the R gave a card without even discussing with the AR first :rolleyes: [the league referee administrator responded to the parent complaint by explaining that was pretty standard with experienced refs . . .], but the dissent ended and the game moved on.)

I am also northumberland and don't see many sin bins but the times I have sin binned a player it has calmed things down slightly. One u13 game I did earlier in the season got out of hand and whatever I did they ignored just because they didn't feel like playing football. I have a high tolerance for thing but will change depending how the match is getting played out

Back