A&H

Beckham red

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
Have you seen the show?

No spoilers but there’s a big incident at France 98!!!

So, was it a red card offence?

Kim Nielson’s card technique was incredibly dramatic (surprising) - was this trained as part of the “show” at this level, what can we learn?

The Referee Store
Watching it back, I couldn't believe it was a red card. I assume (as already mentioned), this must've been a 'thing' at the time where any kind of flick out would be a red. I don't think it ticks any boxes for VC

Watching it back, I couldn't believe it was a red card. I assume (as already mentioned), this must've been a 'thing' at the time where any kind of flick out would be a red. I don't think it ticks any boxes for VC
What is the appropriate amount of force? Zero. Therefore it was an excessive amount of force. I’m pretty sure that was the reasoning at the time. Frankly, I think the pendulum has swung too far the other direction, as we look for excuses to forgive behavior.

What is the appropriate amount of force? Zero. Therefore it was an excessive amount of force. I’m pretty sure that was the reasoning at the time. Frankly, I think the pendulum has swung too far the other direction, as we look for excuses to forgive behavior.
Personally, I don’t agree. The force of the challenge on Beckham was 20x more than the flick out. Even Simeone himself said it wasn’t a card. I think sending off a player for a light flick after being on the receiving end of a deliberately heavy foul isn’t very fair

It was over 25 years ago, we need to get over it.

The bigger controversy was the disallowing Campbell's goal and allowing Argentina to restart play while the England players celebrated.

Personally, I don’t agree. The force of the challenge on Beckham was 20x more than the flick out. Even Simeone himself said it wasn’t a card. I think sending off a player for a light flick after being on the receiving end of a deliberately heavy foul isn’t very fair
The problem is that you are using a current understanding of the Laws of the Game and applying it to something that happens a quarter of a century ago.

Back in the mid to late 90s this was a common sending off, any petulant flick or kick out would normally be penalised as a sending off and was expected to be.

If you look at old games on YouTube (other providers are available) there are loads of examples like this. I do find it quite interesting there are loads of tackles that were only penalised with a free kick or a yellow at worst that nowadays we wouldn’t hesitate to pull red cards out for but at the same time there are incidents like this that would have been a red then but now might only be yellow.

I didn’t advocate goin all the way back. I said the pendulum has swung too far the other direction now.

I don't think it would be given these days as it would viewed as petulant rather than violent. But at the time that kind of flick out usually resulted in a sending off.

I agree with you. We have developed a significantly more nuanced approach to VC and the really need to see that "brutality" is involved with the incident to call it that. Today, this looks more like UB-Lack of Respect to me.

Back