A&H

Ball Stationary at Goal Kick

KB

I'll take a tough game over an easy game any day!!
Level 4 Referee
I was 4th Man for a Semi Final tonight and had an interesting one. Second half underway and Goal Kick awarded, keeper takes it quick and the ball is moving (still inside the 6 yard box) and as i press the Push To Talk button for comms to say sub next time, away manager screams ROLLING BALL AGAIN, happened a few times, i tell him to get back in his box and the home manager stands up and claims the ball doesnt have to be still. Que the argument. They both look at me for clarification i tell them to both get back in their boxes and google it!! Didnt want to say something and make the opposite manager even more angry, (trying not to bin anyone). Just looking for clarification, I always thought the ball had to be stationary for it to be kicked on a Goal Kick (as it is for free kicks etc) any advice would be apreciated as we where talking over comms about it and the Senior Assistant wasnt too sure either.

The Referee Store
Say hello to one of those LOTG blind spots.

The LOTG don't expressly say the ball has to be stationary. Common sense says that the ball is stationary. Sadly the LOTG dont.

:)

Nice response to the managers by the way.

Thanks @SM so when your in the middle if the ball was rolling would you do a retake or just play on?

Pleased im not the only one!!

Interesting! I always assumed that it had to be stationary. I've seen referees pull it back a few times when a 'keeper has tried to take a quick one, probably where I've made the assumption.

Reactions: KB
Had this when I was on the line the other week. I assumed that the ball had to be stationary so when the keeper kicked it whilst it was moving I signalled and the ref asked the keeper to retake it. At half time in the dressing room the ref told me that I was wrong and the ball doesn't have to be stationary as long as it's inside the 6yard box.

Interesting as you say SM nowhere in the laws of the game does it cover this - so surely this is just his interpretation

I let them get on with it, it doesnt say it must be stationary. I do not allow it to be bouncing though.

I had this same query about this time last year. I emailed the fa for clarification and got a response saying even though it's not in the LOTG "it is generally accepted that it must be stationary" this really wast good enough for me but I couldn't go much further so I just accepted it.
I did post it on here so it might be in the old threads somewhere if you want a read.
Also what was the semi final for. Down my way you are lucky to get buzzer at supply level, never mind comes for semi final :)

Reactions: KB
I don't think it does mention it in the interpretations?

See @AlexF's post above or page 84 & 87 in LOTG. It doesn't specifically say it but it is implied.

L0X5m0J.png

uJGGxc9.png

I think the fact that the LOTG make a few references to the ball being "placed" rather indicates that the ball is stationary. A moving item can hardly be "placed".

I think the fact that the LOTG make a few references to the ball being "placed" rather indicates that the ball is stationary. A moving item can hardly be "placed".

I think we all agree on that, but it doesn't hurt to explicitly say 'the ball must be stationary'. It avoids the confusion and misinterpretation that has happened.

Back