A&H

ball over the goal line after hitting the crossbar

Danwilliams

Level 7 Referee
hello all had a game today 3-3 in the last 5 mins blue player took a shot, hits the bar comes down, it looked like from my position the ball crossed the line I was around 75/80% sure. My position was just outside the pen area i looked at my CAR he didn't flag so I wasn't sure I gave no goal but the manager came to me at the end of the game saying it cross the line all I said is I wasn't 100% sure he wasn't happy have anyone had this happen before? and did I make the correct call? I know its hard to call without seeing a clip lol

Last edited:
The Referee Store
If you're not 100% sure, don't give it. Simple advice and works well - don't give it if you can't justify it.

Spot on, only give if your 100%, its a no win situation so it has to be right in your mind! I had one last season, pinged around, post crossbar, big melee, I didn't give it!!! I wasn't sure.
The GK who is a friend on FB admitted after the game that in his opinion it was a goal but wouldn't admit it in the game!!! Go figure!!!

The manager said it crossed the line? You're referring to the manager, in the technical area, who was 2-3 times further from the ball than you were, with the same hopeless front-on view?

If you think about those facts, then that should tell you everything you need to know here ;-)

One thing you learn as a referee but you don't as a player/manager - the ball 'looks' over the line well, well before it actually is over the line. Even when there's grass between the line and the bottom of the ball, it can still be in.

Can't give a goal if you don't see it - and the manager had a worse view than you did. Without having any weight on his opinion, it's just easier for him to be certain without actually weighing up the evidence and concerns.

Also, I wouldn't want to consider the CAR's opinion here unless they were with the defending team (in otherwords, if they gain from their decision here, ignore it. Only consider it if it would be detrimental to the CAR's team)

Last edited:
I had one of these on Sunday. wasn't sure couldn't give it. My natural reaction was look for my assistant but he he was a CAR so looked away very quickly and made my decision. Wasn't a 100% sure so no goal.

I had one yesterday myself when the referee who was supposed to be on my game didn't turn up I refereed the last 31 minutes but anyway ball hits the crossbar I can clearly see from the edge of the area that it hasn't gone over

I had one yesterday myself when the referee who was supposed to be on my game didn't turn up I refereed the last 31 minutes but anyway ball hits the crossbar I can clearly see from the edge of the area that it hasn't gone over

Who refereed the first 59 minutes?

I came from a game in morning and they had commenced the game before I'd got there if they would of held it I'd refereed it all

Best piece of advice I can give is stick with your guns. At the end of the day you are the referee so it is your decision.

I once had this happened on an Under 16's Match and I was not sure whether it did cross the line or not but the Club Assistant flagged to say it had. I spoke with him before awarding the goal.

This goal made the game 4-4 and meant that his team lost the title on goal difference. Ever since I have always trusted the gentleman since

Back