A&H

AUS vs NIG

• Thread starter Deleted member 2447
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2447

Nigeria 2nd goal. Brave header but the defender kick was well under the ball and ripped into the abdomen of the goal scorer. Surely some sanction (at least YC) was necessary for reckless play? Did the ref bottle it as a goal was scored?

The Referee Store
Someone on another source made an interesting point. Cautions are mostly there to attempt to modify behavior to prevent it in the future. In this case we have an attacker putting their body on the line in an attempt to score a goal. We have a defender doing everything they can to stop a goal. Both players did exactly what they're supposed to do and would do it again at every opportunity. By definition was it reckless or excessive? Sure. Does any player at the pro level expect a card to come out after a goal was scored there? Nope.

In my view that was a C&O SFP. Kick with excessive force to the abdomen. Intent wouldn't play a part here.

I think it was missed due to the distraction of focusing on the bigger event.

I am sure everyone remembers a few years ago when an obvious SFP on Virgil van Dijk by Pickford was missed due to an offside that was a bigger event on the surface.

The VAR certainly looked at this in checking the goal. I agree with the VAR that this is not a C&O send off. Notably, none of the players are asking for sanctions here. And I’m not buying EF here. Reckless, sure. hile I’d prefer to see a cautio. Here (and can’t imagine we wouldn’t anywhere else on the field), this was two players being very aggressive right at the goal. And I do think we have some allowance there, and (at least at this level),I can live without a card. (And I’m pretty confident that the powers that be for the tournament would definitely not want this play to be a send off.)

Back