A&H

Attacker Blocking a Drop Kick

freddier

Level 7 Referee
In my match this morning (U11s, but a feisty game) the keeper picked the ball up and drop kicked it. The attacker was stood outside of the box and stuck his foot up in an attempt to get the ball and did connect, but it didn't lead to anything. Is this a foul or not? I carried on with play, but the parents had other ideas about the decision!!

The Referee Store
In my match this morning (U11s, but a feisty game) the keeper picked the ball up and drop kicked it. The attacker was stood outside of the box and stuck his foot up in an attempt to get the ball and did connect, but it didn't lead to anything. Is this a foul or not? I carried on with play, but the parents had other ideas about the decision!!
If you look at law 12 in the lotg under indirect free kicks, this might apply.
*prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from the hands or kicks or attempts to kick the ball when the goalkeeper is in the process of releasing it

Although in terms of the match, if you determine that playing on instead of issuing a IDFK is a better decision. Then your decision was it

IMO, at that age if the ball gets touched by the knucklehead, this is something to definitely stop for as a teaching moment And explain if he were older he would probably be getting cautioned.

It depends on the distance between them as well.
If the attacker is 10 yards away and blocks it, that's on the keeper, play on.

Back