A&H

Assistant Referee Flag

micky2001

I always thought that you should hold the flag in the hand closest to the referee unless giving a decision which dictates otherwise. Normally this therefore means my left hand as an AR.

At Celtic game tonight, both assistants held the flag in their right hand almost exclusively. Is there a trial of new technique, am I wrong, or are the assistant referees tonight wrong?

Also, when giving a throw in, they put the flag straight in the air for a second. If the throw in was in the direction of the hand the flag is in, they then lowered it. If they had to switch hands to signal then would then put hand below waist and switch. I've normally always swapped flag hands before signalling and never normally put the flag straight up unless it is an in/out situation. Opinions?

The Referee Store
Yeah, it's very much a Euro thing. I always tfr hands below the put it up to signal the throw. I was always taught that straight up was the first indication to a ref that you've seen an infringement, when the ref looks over you agitate to signal fowl or point for an offside as required. But I may be wrong - I hope not and I haven't been called out by assessor , yet!

Gets right on my nerves... interestingly, i always thought it was covered in practical guidelines; it isnt, but on the diagrams the flags are in the AR right hand. Maybe it is we Anglais that do it wrong haha

I always thought that you should hold the flag in the hand closest to the referee unless giving a decision which dictates otherwise. Normally this therefore means my left hand as an AR.

At Celtic game tonight, both assistants held the flag in their right hand almost exclusively. Is there a trial of new technique, am I wrong, or are the assistant referees tonight wrong?

Also, when giving a throw in, they put the flag straight in the air for a second. If the throw in was in the direction of the hand the flag is in, they then lowered it. If they had to switch hands to signal then would then put hand below waist and switch. I've normally always swapped flag hands before signalling and never normally put the flag straight up unless it is an in/out situation. Opinions?
If you think that is bad, watch mid 80's european football, the AR's simply did not swap hands - throw-ins to the defender, right hand across the body (or even face) :mad::wtf:

i did a couple of games back end of last year with one arm as i had broken the other...
it was neither elegant or practical but got the job done... i cant recommend it ! the 2 refs had no issues with me doing it, but it just felt wrong

Back