A&H

Assessors

Lefelee

Have anyone of you had any trouble with assessors being patronising, rude, saying things that you absolutely disagree with or goes against what you have learnt, etc?

The Referee Store
NO - all assessors are perfect. :p

But there are some older assessors who will give advice on their idea of refereeing (ie 1990's). If they are rude or disrespectful to you, just ring the assessor co-coordinator for your area. He controls appointment and needs to know if there are issues.

If you dis-agree with something, explain why you did it and ask for him for more information about his view - we all learn though talking about incidents. As an assessor, i have a different sight line to the referee and therefore will dis-agree with his judgment. But once the matter is discussed any disagreement can be resolved.

An assessor who gave me a bad report, saying I essentially did everything wrong, he was patronising during the debrief, did not allow me to speak and explain my views (when I tried, he criticised me for this and said I tried to make up excuses)

Can you put your assessment (but take out any details such as club names, your name etc...) up?

This was on the final day of last season. Almost cost me my 6/5 promotion, after complaining (I have an average of 80 on other assessments and I did not have an impression that my positioning and movement was any worse than in other assessed games) the report was thankfully overlooked.

http://s9.postimg.org/atg65uqnz/report.png

I know absolutely nothing about assessing an official but even I can see that is a shocking assessment!!!!

Multiple times you are told you were not good enough. Aren't assessments supposed to have positive criticism as in 'areas you could improve' rather than just saying you were rubbish?

The 2nd development point he says you make 'presumably incorrect' offside calls. Unless I have read that completely incorrectly he is criticising you for getting an offside decision incorrect when he doesn't even know whether it was or not?

The 3rd development point. Every single referee I have ever ran the line for asks me to 'referee my area' as in talk to the players, tell them to play on if it's not a foul etc. I can not think of any way that could possibly be a bad thing.

If I was given that assessment, even if had a shocker, I would be straight on the phone to the assessor coordinater

Lefelee - I'm perpexled. You do not have to be assessed on assistant referee matches as a 6-5 referee, and I have never seen this type of assessment for a 6-5. But then again, you saying you're going 6-5, which suggests you are based in England. Are you based in England? Or have I got very confused!

But yes, this assessment is very poor indeed. Poorly written, and does essentially rip into you. This assessment would be overlooked, due to this, and due to the fact it offers no constructive advice whatsoever.

A very poor assessor.

It is a supply league assistant referee report.

It doesn't count towards promotion as a referee. It is classed as advisory.

By the sounds of it you weren't up with play?

I've had maybe 20 AR assessments in the past - in not one of them have I been told that I'm wrongly positioned.

While the wording of the report is awful, I do understand his points.

As an AR on a supply league game, positioning with the second rear most defender is vital for creditability for your (& the referees) decisions on offside. If you were not correctly aligned, consider why not.

This is not standing for assessors, but I understand about talking to players as an AR. If you are saying "play on" and the referee awards a free-kick fir something you haven't seen, then this creates a match control problem for one of you. Phases such as "keep going", "you've got procession" are safer from a control standpoint.

What did the referee say after the assessor had left the debrief?

"Play on" is a very dangerous thing to say as an AR. For potential foul situations in your area of credibility, you want something neutral like "Careful" if they are getting close to offending. Then either you can flag it or the referee can decide to give the decision, based on the exact situation.

"Play on" is a very dangerous thing to say as an AR. For potential foul situations in your area of credibility, you want something neutral like "Careful" if they are getting close to offending. Then either you can flag it or the referee can decide to give the decision, based on the exact situation.
Agree with that, would never want an AR to say play on, would be a bit daft if I wanted to blow the whistle!!

Its not very well written granted, but it does make the key point that in his opinion your positioning was out, which in turn undermines EVERYTHING that you do as an AR.

Forget the 20+ other assessments you've had which have never mentioned it, you have look at this particular game on this particular day and ask yourself whether you were fully up with play at all times. If you do this you will come out with one of the following answers:

1) The assessor was correct in his comments about my positioning, which means that in turn this impacted my credibility in decision making (even if you got the decision right, getting it right from a non credible position especially if its tight is an issue)
2) You fundamentally disagree with the assessors comments about your positioning and can be certain that you were fully up with play and level with the second last defender in the instances he raised. If that is the case then i'd take it further

Often you need to scratch beneath the surface of something not well presented or articulated to get to the heart of the matter.

a bit of a crap report there buddy! looks as if the assessor has had a bad day and just wanted to get home to his supper and slippers!

on a serious note, the only thing I do agree on is the talking to players excessively - again as has been mentioned, I wouldn't be too impressed with an AR telling players to 'play on' when im the guy in charge.

How easy is it to get promoted to level 6 or 5 from a level 7 referee myself.
Not to put a slur on the promotion from level 7 to 6, but as long as you can turn up, look smart and officiate a game without too many issues, you shouldn't have too many problems. From my understanding, to get to 5, there is more of a focus on positioning. Give it a go, if you make it, great, if not, try again the year after!

How easy is it to get promoted to level 6 or 5 from a level 7 referee myself.
As other persons have commented, the refereeing side is relatively easy. The admin and the mandatory training sessions are usually peoples downfall.
If you have the time and commitment, then 7-6 should be achievable.

Back