A&H

Asking a manager to substitute

CA

Level 4 Referee
This hasn't happened to me, but I was thinking what would you do if it did happen?

A red player (U8) kicks a blue player (U8), you walk over to the manager and ask him to take off that player and sub him for someone else, but he refuses. What would you do?

The Referee Store
Red card - SFP or VC depending whether the ball was in play.
You've given them the option to remove the player and they've rejected so why not?

Why are you asking them to sub first? If a player kicks another player, I don't care how old he is, he's guilty of SFP/VC and needs to be sent off. If only to teach him a lesson.

Like Ryan, RC straight away. Would you ask a manager to sub the player if it was U12, U16, seniors? I know they are only U8, but there are some aspects that you should not budge on, and for me, this is one.

Like Ryan, RC straight away. Would you ask a manager to sub the player if it was U12, U16, seniors? I know they are only U18, but there are some aspects that you should not budge on, and for me, this is one.

Yeah -- and if you budge on it here, won't they expect you to budge on it in those more advanced levels, too? It's a dangerous game to get into, saying "ah, the kid's too young for a red card." They need to learn about the game from early on.

Yeah -- and if you budge on it here, won't they expect you to budge on it in those more advanced levels, too? It's a dangerous game to get into, saying "ah, the kid's too young for a red card." They need to learn about the game from early on.
Exactly... That player might think it is ok to do that, so in a year he will do the same again, and again the referee will let it go, and it will again happen the following year, until eventually a referee does punish it, and the player won't understand what he has done wrong. That type of situation helps nobody!

Exactly... That player might think it is ok to do that, so in a year he will do the same again, and again the referee will let it go, and it will again happen the following year, until eventually a referee does punish it, and the player won't understand what he has done wrong and gets himself in more trouble by having a strop (as teenagers are prone to doing). That type of situation helps nobody!

Added a bit for emphasis. Either way, we're of accord and I would counsel everyone else to take this advice.

With Violent Conduct at any age group then I'm binning them. Asking for the manager to sub them is just asking for trouble such as him refusing as you say. So if he kicks him, bin him! :)

I agree sending them for VC, however would you send someone for DOGSO at this age group?

I agree sending them for VC, however would you send someone for DOGSO at this age group?
Simple answer: Yes.

If its a DOGSO its a RC, whatever the level/age, however, at this age it is very important to explain to them why it is a red card, and why you have no option. You won't be flavour of the month on that pitch following that, but you have got to do it.

Maybe if it is genuinly a 'mistake' of a challenge, and there is a hint of 'ging away from goal' or 'covering defender' then maybe try a yellow, but if it is an obvious DOGSO then you have got to.

At the end of the day, the aim of the game (especially at that age) is to leave the field with no RC/YC, but there are some instances where you have no option.

I've learned you are there as the referee to enforce the LOTG.

No where in the laws does it say:

"If its a youth game, take different action."

If it is a RC offence then I would produce a RC whatever the age.

I've learned you are there as the referee to enforce the LOTG.

No where in the laws does it say:

"If its a youth game, take different action."

If it is a RC offence then I would produce a RC whatever the age.
I'll believe this when I see it!

But if you are binning for DOGSO I hope you are all ensuring undergarments are the correct colour as well as the sock tape :)

I'll believe this when I see it!

But if you are binning for DOGSO I hope you are all ensuring undergarments are the correct colour as well as the sock tape :)
Of course. Maybe it is a geographical thing, but in my area, I can guarantee you that youth matches would be dealt with in more or less the same way as any other match.

They have coaches there to coach and educate them, thats not our job. If we have to send off a payer for DOGSO then it is the coach's responsibility to ensure that he doesn't do it again/tell him why its wrong. In the same way, coaches should ensure that the correct undergarments and sock tape are used.

Of course. Maybe it is a geographical thing, but in my area, I can guarantee you that youth matches would be dealt with in more or less the same way as any other match.

They have coaches there to coach and educate them, thats not our job. If we have to send off a payer for DOGSO then it is the coach's responsibility to ensure that he doesn't do it again/tell him why its wrong. In the same way, coaches should ensure that the correct undergarments and sock tape are used.
Yeah at that age group no one here would dismiss for DOGSO.

But if the coaches don't ensure they have the correct stuff on, thats where you come in....

Yeah at that age group no one here would dismiss for DOGSO.

But if the coaches don't ensure they have the correct stuff on, thats where you come in....
I would...

Exactly. Thats why I 'take no prisoners' whatever the age.

Back