A&H

Arsenal vs Swansea

frank_ref

A lot of talk about the end of this game. Garry Monk and many Swansea fans saying Lee Probert shouldn't have blown up while they were on the attack. Monk's argument seems to be that - well, I'll let him tell it himself:
Garry Monk said:
"We were told there were four minutes of added time at the end of the game. We scored in that period so they added another minute and they reset the clock. So to blow up on four minutes thirty-something seconds, thirty seconds short of what should be five minutes minimum and when we're through on goal, it's hard to take."

Here's a gif of the end of the game, showing the whistle going at around 4.34 of added time. Given an extra thirty seconds for the Swansea goal, it seems about right to me. Why he didn't blow as soon as Swansea cleared the corner is beyond me. He could have saved himself ten yards of running too.

What does Law 7 say on the matter?

"Allowance is made in either period for all time lost through:
  • substitutions
  • assessment of injury to players
  • removal of injured players from the field of play for treatment
  • wasting time
  • any other cause
The allowance for time lost is at the discretion of the referee."

Something a bit more specific/explicit can be found here; it's a series of answers from the PGMO to questions posed by the BBC. The key parts for me are:
  • "As soon as the physio or trainer comes on, one of the assistants and the fourth official will monitor how long they are on the pitch." This time is added on.
  • 30 seconds for each substitution is "a rule of thumb", but can be longer "if a player is meandering, doddering, etc" (or shorter, of course, if a quick turn around)
  • "It's the same for red cards, yellow cards as well."
  • Time is added to cover goal celebrations - "thirty seconds as a rule of thumb" - though it may be longer.
  • The fourth official usually signals two minutes before the end of each half.
  • (An obvious one to everyone here but) "referees can blow for full time when a team is attacking."
Anyway, back to the Arsenal vs Swansea game: there were six substitutions in the second half, and no yellows or reds. Given the three goals that makes - "by rule of thumb" - four and a half minutes not including any stoppages for injuries. Were there any stoppages for injuries? If not, then Lee Probert would appear bang on.

Also worth noting: just over two minutes were added to the first half, with one goal, one yellow card, and no substitutions, therefore another minute or so to account for.

Were there injuries in the first half? If not, perhaps a little inconsistency.

In a nutshell: if there were no delays for injuries in the second half Probert was bang on the money and to have let de Guzman play on would have been an injustice to Arsenal. If not...a whole 'nother cake of worms. I for one would be very interested to have a copy of the second half and give it a wee time.

I do hope that's been useful. Can I have my longest post award now please?

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I've never added any time on from the point at which a goal is scored to the restart of play - though i've never had what i would consider any extreme / lengthy / time wasting goal celebrations of the type often witnessed in the professional game

Ultimately, there is nothing to say that you as the referee cannot blow up when a team is on the attack. Even that referee who blew up between the header and the ball going in the goal was not technically wrong, the only occasion when you have to extend play is at the taking of a penalty kick.

Back