A&H

ARS LIV handball anyone?

santa sangria

RefChat Addict
41A8D599-4108-426B-A2D0-9CF8EB8430D4.jpeg

I’m disappointed with MO for not even whistling when Partey threw Diaz to the ground and injured him.

And here’s a still of the 15 th min VAR-checked Gabriel handball in the box.

I’m interested how this can be described as no offence under the current laws? The reverse angle is even more damning BTW.

A&H International
I thought it would be a penalty on replay...
A card for Thiago too prior to Arsenal's 2nd? Not given.
And for Arsenal's first, no lines drawn for potential offside (certainly not shown on Sky Sports)... for me it was extremely close with his back leg whilst running back onside.

Totally impossible to say if that arm position was natural for what he was doing from a still picture. I’m guessing he was trying to head the ball and instead his opponent kicked the ball, redirecting it into his arm? If thanks the card, I think in reality that is a perfectly natural place for his arm to be, and he had no time to move out of the way of the ball. But in practice, it seems to be a position that usually gets called for biggering, despite how natural it is. IMHO (if what I described is what happened), this should not be handling, but despite my opinion the powers that be seem to currently think it should be.

Totally impossible to say if that arm position was natural for what he was doing from a still picture. I’m guessing he was trying to head the ball and instead his opponent kicked the ball, redirecting it into his arm? If thanks the card, I think in reality that is a perfectly natural place for his arm to be, and he had no time to move out of the way of the ball. But in practice, it seems to be a position that usually gets called for biggering, despite how natural it is. IMHO (if what I described is what happened), this should not be handling, but despite my opinion the powers that be seem to currently think it should be.

No, it was a cross that he blocked with his hand.

Last edited:
Some odd stuff from the officials in this match for me.
I think the Thiago pen he played the ball and the player. i understand that one.
Tomiyasu wasting time at a throw at 2-1 up gets a warning. Gomez, trying to take a throw at 2-2, gets a YC.
Jesus offside, flag stays down, chance of 2nd phase possession. Nunez offside, flag straight up.
Jesus pushes VVD in the back, leading to collision involving the GK, corner.
No card for Xhaka for confronting Hendo, really?

The thing I think an observer will note is the time wasting, kicking the ball away at 2-1 up in the first half, at 3-2 up in the second half, Saka 3 times, and one player deep into added time. I thought it presented really poorly not to deal with this. And instead the one delay of game card went to Gomez. Bizarre. Overall, for me, it felt like the officials on the field and in the VAR room interfered in the result way too much in one direction.

I can only assume they didn't give it because of the extremely short distance the ball travelled. Not really anything in law to support that, but I can't come up with any other explanation.

Some odd stuff from the officials in this match for me.
I think the Thiago pen he played the ball and the player. i understand that one.
Tomiyasu wasting time at a throw at 2-1 up gets a warning. Gomez, trying to take a throw at 2-2, gets a YC.
Jesus offside, flag stays down, chance of 2nd phase possession. Nunez offside, flag straight up.
Jesus pushes VVD in the back, leading to collision involving the GK, corner.
No card for Xhaka for confronting Hendo, really?

The thing I think an observer will note is the time wasting, kicking the ball away at 2-1 up in the first half, at 3-2 up in the second half, Saka 3 times, and one player deep into added time. I thought it presented really poorly not to deal with this. And instead the one delay of game card went to Gomez. Bizarre. Overall, for me, it felt like the officials on the field and in the VAR room interfered in the result way too much in one direction.
Think you might need to take the fan head a bit.

Henderson started the whole confrontation, Xhaka just came up to intervene, if there was a missed caution it was for Henderson, and sensible refereeing to just warn both.

The Nunez flag for offside went straight up because there was no chance of an attack developing, that wasn't the case in other offsides (has a player even been offside more in a game than Nunez?)

And talking about the push by Jesus, Gomez was extremely lucky not to get a yellow card for pushing an opponent into the hoardings when the ball had already gone out.

Talking about time wasting, lots of fouls by Liverpool players and they stood over the ball / stopped quick restarts multiple times. They all went unpunished.

Are you sure Gomes was given the card and not Arteta? Looked like Arteta to me for being miles outside his area harassing Gomes.

Odegaard got a yellow for 'taking one for the team' had a similar incident the other way that wasn't punished.

Liverpool should have had a penalty and the first Arsenal goal most certainly looked offside (I haven't seen lines, but lookes clear on the replay) - Arsenal finally getting some good fortune from VAR?

Think you might need to take the fan head a bit.

Henderson started the whole confrontation, Xhaka just came up to intervene, if there was a missed caution it was for Henderson, and sensible refereeing to just warn both.

The Nunez flag for offside went straight up because there was no chance of an attack developing, that wasn't the case in other offsides (has a player even been offside more in a game than Nunez?)

And talking about the push by Jesus, Gomez was extremely lucky not to get a yellow card for pushing an opponent into the hoardings when the ball had already gone out.
I think we watched different games. Xhaka escalated with a forceful two-handed shove. We never did see replays of the first half Arsenal offsides where play got recycled. And Gomez shouldered Martinelli into the floor, not the hoardings. Agree that Nunez was slack with the offsides - he nearly spoilt the first goal.

Yeah, there's an offside in the build up to the first goal that really would have benefited from showing the lines. It looks offside to the eye and looked like it was being assessed by VAR, but they never showed the lines and then moved on to an obvious non-offside later in the move.

That also seems like a textbook VAR-penalty, very surprised it wasn't given.

And I think Santa's point about time wasting is very fair too, there was a lot of it going round and Gomez was far from the worst or most obvious offender.

You would be livid if that went against your team or yourself as a player.

Absolutely zero intention of handling, arms following his body movement (he has absolutely no intention of having his arm up there), ball whacked at him from a yard away with zero chance of getting out of the way.

With the wording of handball law, particularly how it’s portrayed on TV, people seem to be obsessing over the ‘natural position’ wording and judging on freeze frames.

There has to be an element of intention (or stupidity) for it to be a handball offence. This was purely accidental and should not be punished IMO.

Last edited:
There has to be an intention of deliberacy (or stupidity) for it to be a handball offence. This was purely accidental and should not be punished IMO.

Seems a fair comment yet at odds with what we see week in week out

Seems a fair comment yet at odds with what we see week in week out
Because with all the extra wording, complications, VAR & freeze frames - the core principle of handball seems to have been lost.

Reminds me of how offside was a years back.

A near identical video on the IFAB Clarifications document classes this as 'making the body un-naturally bigger' and therefore an offence. https://www.theifab.com/documents/?documentType=all&language=en&years=2022
Completely different scenario. Defender in the IFAB picture is moving towards the ball and making a deliberate attempt to make a block with her arm out in front of her, knows full well the cross is coming and is attempting to stop it.

The Arsenal defender is in closer proximity, running in the same direction as the attacker who isn’t in total control of ball and putting the proverbial brakes on to stop himself running past the attacker (so arms will naturally come up) and the arms are moving back towards his body. The attacker has then hooked the ball across and it’s hit him.

On another incident - Rashford goal disallowed for handball.

Welcome thoughts on this one? Suppose in wording of law it’s correct decision but not sure that’s entirely the spirit in which the law is intended?

Back