A&H

Any one else tempted?

OnlyUseMeWhistle

RefChat Addict
Level 4W Referee
I often ref low level games, especially in women's football, where a lot of players have just made the step up from U16 and so the games and quite sloppy and messy.

Occasionally I will be stood on the edge of the "D" outside the penalty area and a loose ball from a cross or block will come trickling towards me.

As a ref who "actually played the game(TM)" I am always tempted to absolutely thump one towards goal, I never do but the thought crosses my mind every time!

Wonder how much trouble I'd be in if I ever did...

The Referee Store
Not quite, but I did once, whilst on the line, ball coming towards me out of play, do a rabona style flick of the ball straight into the throwers arm who was coming over to collect.
Got a wry smile and positive comment, whilst I was thinking I hope the observer didn't see that! Not sure what came over me tbh. Got away with it though 🙂

Last edited:
I think maybe 20 years ago I did it. I couldn’t resist. The team were losing 15-0 and couldn’t hit a barn door from 3 yards. Was about 20 yards out, sitting perfectly and wallop! Hit it a peach, rattled the crossbar! I was gutted! As were the losing team as it was the closest they’d come to scoring 🤣

I did say “nuts” when a ball went between my legs last week. Heard a couple of laughs.

The temptation is always there, especially when it sits up so nicely… but some clogger always takes an extra touch and it piddles away and is cleared. Always wanna be like… “mate…” 😂

In a ref tournament about fifteen years ago I scored an absolute worldie from the edge of the D on the half-volley, top bins, after corner was nodded away… knew I’d used up my one goal that day 😂

Not quite, but I did recently, whilst on the line, ball coming towards me out of play, do a rabona style flick of the ball straight into the throwers arm who was coming over to collect.
Got a wry smile and positive comment, whilst I was thinking I hope the observer didn't see that! Not sure what came over me tbh. Got away with it though 🙂
Oh I am nowhere near skillful enough to try that! Can just about manage a centre back style HOOF

Not quite, but I did recently, whilst on the line, ball coming towards me out of play, do a rabona style flick of the ball straight into the throwers arm who was coming over to collect.

That actually poses a question... Should you stop / get the ball when running the line? Even as a CAR I always worry that if you do it for one team and then not the other you will be accused of being biased.

That actually poses a question... Should you stop / get the ball when running the line? Even as a CAR I always worry that if you do it for one team and then not the other you will be accused of being biased.
I don't, because if I do it once I have to make sure I always do. Granted most lines I do is at proper grounds so the ball is never going far

Nope. You are not a ball boy. You need to be facing field of play, not looking around at where the ball has gone.

Although, If the ball were to land right at your feet you'd be wise not to let a player run miles to you, but be careful about what opponents are doing, however, as a general rule we don't leave our touch line.

I ask because I stopped one that was coming right at me on Sunday (as a parent CAR) and it got me thinking as I suddenly realised I could have been accused of helping the team as they took a quick throw from it.

It you give them it, they take a quick throw-in and score from the attack- guess who is getting blamed by the defending team……

I ask because I stopped one that was coming right at me on Sunday (as a parent CAR) and it got me thinking as I suddenly realised I could have been accused of helping the team as they took a quick throw from it.
Environment also plays a part. No one is going to thank you for letting a ball go 50 yards down a ditch into the stream... In a ground, where the ball isn't going to go that far is different.
I think as a CAR it is even less important than as a neutral. Your in a position of also being a ref and thinking of it where as little Jonny's uncle Trev, ain't going to give it a second thought.

If it hits me, it hits me. I’m not responsible for where it goes 😉

I often ref low level games, especially in women's football, where a lot of players have just made the step up from U16 and so the games and quite sloppy and messy.

Occasionally I will be stood on the edge of the "D" outside the penalty area and a loose ball from a cross or block will come trickling towards me.

As a ref who "actually played the game(TM)" I am always tempted to absolutely thump one towards goal, I never do but the thought crosses my mind every time!

Wonder how much trouble I'd be in if I ever did...

Before the law changed I did manage to score twice - inadvertently of course.

One a header from halfway in an under 10s (winning goal too), and the other a knee from the edge of the area. The original shot was terribly off target too. 😆

Never. Absolutely hate it even when a CAR does it.

Back