A&H

Another question

SM

The avuncular one
Nice discussion after last question. So here is another one:

The game is as much about the referees enjoyment as the players and spectators?
(Non professional level of course)

Go nuts!

The Referee Store
I disagree. As much as I enjoy refereeing, I think that if you look at it like that then you will start making the game about you as the referee.

But surely if you continue to referee you must be enjoying it anyway?

Last edited:
Completely agree with the statement @Supermonkey why do the 400 something year old refs still turn up every Saturday and Sunday, it sure won't be for the money, it's cause they love doing it and hats off to them because whenever I play an old ref is fat more fun than a younger one ;)

Why would it not be about the refs enjoyment as much as the players? You don't have to do anything other than ref a good game with consistency and good refereeing skill. Doesn't make you centre of attention, but it is very enjoyable when you're in the zone and you just feel the game is going well. I love that feeling, being in the zone.

There is a difference between the referee enjoying himself, and the game existing for the referee's enjoyment. I would agree with the statement "Referees should enjoy the game as much as the players and spectators" but don't think I can agree with "The game is as much..."

There is a difference between the referee enjoying himself, and the game existing for the referee's enjoyment. I would agree with the statement "Referees should enjoy the game as much as the players and spectators" but don't think I can agree with "The game is as much..."

I don't see the difference with the two, care to elaborate?:confused:

I think when the level is for the players enjoyment (eg. Grass roots) then the referee should be there to enjoy it just as much but when the game turns professional the referee's enjoyment is disregarded as he/she is there to do a job with enjoyment coming as an optional extra.

At the same time, if you were did make it to that level, and you hated it every weekend and dreaded it, I'm sure you wouldn't stay there for long. To referee regularly, there must be a sense of enjoyment, otherwise you wouldn't do it anymore. Of course, there are times when you don't enjoy a certain game, but those can't happen every weekend and you still referee week in week out.

At the same time, if you were did make it to that level, and you hated it every weekend and dreaded it, I'm sure you wouldn't stay there for long. To referee regularly, there must be a sense of enjoyment, otherwise you wouldn't do it anymore. Of course, there are times when you don't enjoy a certain game, but those can't happen every weekend and you still referee week in week out.

No you wouldn't stay for long but it would be because of your fault, not the fault of the game.

No you wouldn't stay for long but it would be because of your fault, not the fault of the game.
Not necessarily. What if you were getting an extremely large amount of abuse on every game, players screaming at you and so on, meaning you wouldn't enjoy it.

That's not the game's fault -- it's your fault that you can't handle the criticism. The game doesn't change whether the players are angels or devils.

And fwiw, I actually don't so much mind the ones where I'm getting yelled and cursed at - as a matter of fact, at this point, I expect at higher level matches.

That's not the game's fault -- it's your fault that you can't handle the criticism. The game doesn't change whether the players are angels or devils.
Not everyone can handle the criticism though? That is down to their personal character and that alone.

And fwiw, I actually don't so much mind the ones where I'm getting yelled and cursed at - as a matter of fact, at this point, I expect at higher level matches.
But that might just be you. Others might not expect any abuse, and hate it when they get yelled at.

Not everyone can handle the criticism though? That is down to their personal character and that alone.

But that might just be you. Others might not expect any abuse, and hate it when they get yelled at.

Yeah, and that's their fault, not the game's. :p

I read some fascinating research into referee psychology which highlighted that referees tend to develop strong self belief, pretty much discounting all other feedback as being irrelevant.

Back