A&H

An old rule?

JH

RefChat Addict
  • Ronaldo fouled by Gallas
  • Gallas dissent towards Poll
  • Caution for Gallas
  • Poll moves free-kick forward
Somebody please explain whats going on here for someone who wasn't on the refereeing scene in 2004/05.

The Referee Store
It was a trial by the English FA, but FIFA didn't like it and it was dropped....

For me, it was a brilliant idea!!

It was copied from Rugby Union. The offence is moved forward 10m following any dissent after the decision.

I love a Quick free kick around the box but can’t imagine allowing it in that situation. Should be on the whistle after a caution anyway.

The first thing I noticed was the positioning of Poll. Today the ref would have been about 10 meters closer to the foul and probably sold it better compared to the then standard of staying on your diagonal.

For me, the attacking team should have got the choice as to whether to gain the yards or not, that clip is a good example, pretty sure Ronaldo would prefer to set up a shot from 30 yards as opposed to the 20 yard effort.

I liked Poll's creative 10 yards to avoid having to turn it into a penalty! Those last few steps are tiny!

I liked Poll's creative 10 yards to avoid having to turn it into a penalty! Those last few steps are tiny!

One of the reasons people were against it if I remember right. If the opposition pushed you enough you were going to enter the penalty area at some point, do we give penalties for those? It just doesn't seem workable.

From memory I don't think it did turn into a penalty if the 10 years took it into the area, and rather it became an IDFK, or perhaps it only went as far as the edge of the area. I can't remember but I know attacking players didn't always like it.

From memory I don't think it did turn into a penalty if the 10 years took it into the area, and rather it became an IDFK, or perhaps it only went as far as the edge of the area. I can't remember but I know attacking players didn't always like it.

It seems like a simple solution to me. You take a line from the spot of the foul towards the middle of the goal, but excluding the penalty area. The attackers get to place the ball anywhere on that 10 yard line.

That's actually how the rule worked. As the article below from the Grauniad states, in such situations:
... the referee would move it forward to the edge of the area [the rule stipulated that the edge of the area was the limit of any advancement]

Short-lived football rule changes

Incidentally, if anyone reads that whole article, I should point out that it contains one glaring error. It states that throw-ins were not in the original Laws of the Game but were only introduced in 1882. However throw-ins were there from the very beginning (although there was no requirement to use both hands and foot placement was not specified). The original law 5 of 1863 stated:
When the ball is in touch the first player who touches it shall throw it from the point on the boundary line where it left the ground, in a direction at right angles with the boundary line.

Last edited:
I wish we still had it today.

I do think however you should give the attacking team the option to move it up to ten yards.

Also it was interesting to see Poll move it ten yards on an angle to benefit United and not in a straight line.

That's actually how the rule worked. As the article below from the Grauniad states, in such situations:

Short-lived football rule changes

Incidentally, if anyone reads that whole article, I should point out that it contains one glaring error. It states that throw-ins were not in the original Laws of the Game but were only introduced in 1882. However throw-ins were there from the very beginning (although there was no requirement to use both hands and foot placement was not specified). The original law 5 of 1863 stated:
Great post PG, spot on, the throw in was first derived in the Sheffield Rules between 1857 and 1877 so plenty of time to get it right!!! Ive been to Hallam FC a few times (2nd oldest club, oldest ground) and you can still smell the history!!

Great post PG, spot on, the throw in was first derived in the Sheffield Rules between 1857 and 1877 so plenty of time to get it right!!! Ive been to Hallam FC a few times (2nd oldest club, oldest ground) and you can still smell the history!!

I live in the town where the oldest surviving football club in the world is (Sheffield FC). The only smell I get in there is meat and potato pie, chips and a pint when I frequent the occasional midweek game.

Sheffield rules also introduced free kicks and corners. Sheffield FC continued to play under Sheffield rules until 1877.

Many people believe Sheffield FC to be the oldest club in the world. They're actually the oldest independent football club (ie not affiliated to a school or civil service etc). There were earlier independent clubs but none that have survived the test of time. There is a women's team and a very good youth section at Sheffield FC. I've had the privilege to officiate the u18s a couple of times and the standard was very good.

It's a good club and you often see people wearing football shirts from all over the world knocking about town who've popped up for a look at the oldest club.

Apologies for going off topic

Yes, Cambridge University had some form of teams in the 1840s but they seemed to be inter school kicking a bag of wind around. They did start some form of Rules but the Sheffield ones seemed to be the ones taken forward and then adopted by the newly formed English FA.

Yes, Cambridge University had some form of teams in the 1840s but they seemed to be inter school kicking a bag of wind around. They did start some form of Rules but the Sheffield ones seemed to be the ones taken forward and then adopted by the newly formed English FA.

Not totally accurate. The actual history is far more complex, and in my opinion, much more flattering to Sheffield. In the early 1800's there were large numbers of different areas playing some form of Football, each using their own rules (The major public schools in the forefront). Students going up to Cambridge who wanted to play football found everyone from different schools had different versions of the game. So in 1848 a bunch of students sat down and nutted out a compromise set. This was very successful. Sheffield set up their rules in 1857, with quite a few differences to Cambridge, but were also very successful. When the Football Association was set up in 1863, it was expressly aiming to achieve a uniform set of rules to be used country wide, and based its "Laws" heavily on the Cambridge rather than Sheffield set. During the first few years the FA struggled quite badly, and Sheffield were enormously supportive, arranging games and giving advice. They also added a number of of great ideas to the FA laws (corner kicks, free kicks) while failing to sell other Sheffield specific rules (near misses counting as "rouges"; no offside). Eventually as the young FA cup , started in 1873, became massively popular, Sheffield, selflessly and in the cause of unity, merged their laws with the FA in 1877. It is probably true to say that without their help and encouragement the FA might have folded in the 1860's.

Back