A&H

Open Age An absolute humdinger!

Aled

RefChat Addict
Level 5 Referee
Tonights game.... both teams joint 3rd and both only lost 1 game...
Both teams were well up for it, the game was physical and for the first 10-15 mins was nice enough but then got nasty...
Cautions started appearing like goals in a game against San Marino!
Ended up with 9 yellows and 2 off in a really heated game of football, just feel like I'm to blame for some...
Player on a caution for tripping someone to stop a promising attack, he goes into the box... Defender infront of him stops to presumably block him, he leaves his leg in as he passes the defender, at speed the 2 go down like they've been shot, I decide to penalize the attacker for unsporting conduct as a result a 2nd caution and he's sent off, if I give it the other way it's a penalty and a DOGSO so reducing the other team to 9...
I want to know, do you guys thinking penalizing the attacker was correct?

The Referee Store
Could you of just given it as a careless foul against the striker? Or even 'a coming together'?

Sounds like a lot of cards but we weren't there. You can't buy experience, and tonight will of been a positive experience for your refereeing career. With more experience you will be able to manage and set players up for a fall so that everyone will expect a caution. Apart from those situations where hand on heart as soon as a challenge goes in it screams caution to you.

What were the feedback from the clubs after the game?

Well done. Get a good nights sleep before you write your reports!

Could you of just given it as a careless foul against the striker? Or even 'a coming together'?
No I couldn't have, it was reckless either way so was a caution anyway... I just couldn't see a way out of it to avoid a red card.

Either way, was a very heated game and most were happy, clubs weren't though cause of the fines incurred, some players being rather constant repeat offenders for one team...

Referees shouldn't be afraid to give a lot of cards if it's needed. I've had games with high card counts. I've had games with 10 yellows, games with 4 reds where nobody had a problem with how I refereed. Sometimes it's just needed.

As you said, the striker simulated a foul. There are a lot of referees who, for reasons I can't understand, don't think you should issue a 2nd yellow for a dive. Personally, I think that's absurd. If he cheats, he cheats. I didn't see it, so hard to tell if the simulation or the striker running into the defender was the most visible.

Way, way too many referees, even at the professional level, will automatically penalise the defender who stands still while an attacker runs into him. It blows my mind - so of course all the players expect it. If the defender had his spot picked before the attacker chose his direction then he has that right, so it can't be a foul on him unless he's opened his legs to catch the leg of the attacker as he passes.

Back