A&H

Advice (Hertforshire FA )

The Ginger Ref

Hello 👋

Long time lurker of this forum, finallly decided to sign up.

Have been desperate to complete the refereeing course to get back into the game after "retiring" from playing.

Currently living in Hertfordshire, so fall under that association, who seem to only run a course once in a blue moon (the next two are fully booked in Feb and March) (surrounding FA's Bucks and Bedfordshire seem to have a similar approach). However, London FA can't run enough courses, but I wouldn't want to complete my games there due to travel.

Any advice? Or just suck it up and wait for the next course to come up

The Referee Store
I've been with London FA and only recently moved away, had an absolute awful time so my advice would be to stay clear. No major support after your course and just sort of chucked into it with no mentoring or anything whatsoever.

I'd say personally maybe wait to see when the next one is due to be, maybe drop the RDO at Hertfordshire an email, sure they'll be more then happy to help you!

My understanding is that you can complete your course anywhere and then simply apply to your local Football Association to inform them that you have attended the course and need to fulfill the requirement of officiating five games.

I've been with London FA and only recently moved away, had an absolute awful time so my advice would be to stay clear. No major support after your course and just sort of chucked into it with no mentoring or anything whatsoever.

I'd say personally maybe wait to see when the next one is due to be, maybe drop the RDO at Hertfordshire an email, sure they'll be more then happy to help you!
Apart from London run monthly Mastermind sessions that are open to all referees to attend. If you'd said this 10 years ago I might agree with you, but these days the support for London referees is vast.

Apart from London run monthly Mastermind sessions that are open to all referees to attend. If you'd said this 10 years ago I might agree with you, but these days the support for London referees is vast.
I don't disagree that the mastermind sessions aren't good, but from my experience that's one of the only few good things that they have going on. London have a bit of a reputation, especially in my area, for not being good at all in multiple aspects and not just the referees side of things 🤷🏻‍♂️

I don't disagree that the mastermind sessions aren't good, but from my experience that's one of the only few good things that they have going on. London have a bit of a reputation, especially in my area, for not being good at all in multiple aspects and not just the referees side of things 🤷🏻‍♂️
PM me with specific details, I want to know. I'm in a position where I can influence things, but that depends on people telling me what is wrong.

Has anyone got experience with the Amateur Football Association? Like the OP here my local FA (Beds) doesn't seem to have any courses and the AFA runs one 45 minutes away from me in North London. Worth a punt or stick around until a local course comes up?

Has anyone got experience with the Amateur Football Association? Like the OP here my local FA (Beds) doesn't seem to have any courses and the AFA runs one 45 minutes away from me in North London. Worth a punt or stick around until a local course comes up?
You can do the initial 5 games and continue to referee wherever you like, so if the AFA is the nearest course provider why not go for it?

Thanks for all your responses, those who suggested completing the London FA course and then completing 5 games locally, that was my initial plan, however the London FA are explicit in not allowing this.

1705329278046.png

I'm biased because the current RDO for London did my course but I really liked London as a new ref. I qualified in the pandemic so didn't get a lot of support initially but they're very responsive, partly down to resources I imagine.

My current county is good too! But the development sessions are shared over several CFA's for example, which is okay but not quite at London's level. Which is a resources thing you can apply to basically any UK organisation with a London base. Good RDO makes a difference though, aware I'm lucky to have had ones in Wilts, London and Hampshire.

In the south west this year they have run a series of combined online training sessions which I think have been great. Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset, Gloucs and I think Hants and Wilts involved too.

I've found them really helpful with input from those currently and recently experienced at the top end of the game. I even saw a @JamesL in the wild at one of them.

Last edited:
In the south West this year they have run a series of combined online training sessions which I think have been great. Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset, Gloucs and I think Hants and Wilts involved too.

I've found them really helpful with input from those currently and recently experienced at the top end of the game. I even saw a @JamesL in the wild at one of them.
Yeah wilts are on these (hello!)

In the south West this year they have run a series of combined online training sessions which I think have been great. Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset, Gloucs and I think Hants and Wilts involved too.

Haven't made the last couple for various reasons, sadly. Hope to make the next ones.

There were about 60 people on the last one about offside and deliberate play - a really good session, and really highlighted how subject refereeing is! 😂

It makes me surprised that there isn't a more coordinated FA delivery of this sort of thing through webinars.

Back