A&H

Advantage + Offside

BrisRef

I'm sure this has been done before, but this happened again in my game yesterday so I'd like to hear some of your opinions.

White v Blue

White midfielder has the ball and is running towards the edge of his opponents' box. Opponent nudges/trips him, causing him to stumble. However, he regains balance so I play the advantage. He dribbles forward for about 1 1/2 seconds and is in a great position on the edge of the box - much better position than a free kick would have offered about 5 metres back. He has one blue defender between him and the goal and could shoot, however he opts to pass to a fellow attacker who is in an offside position. I penalised for offside and chose not to pull back the advantage.

The sole defender between the attacker and the box was about 2 yards in front of him, inside the box (attacker was still outside). There were a couple of players chasing, but attacker had enough space to pick a pass/shoot.

Thoughts? Did I do the right thing?

EDITED - better? ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: SM
The Referee Store
The joys of advantage.

You haven't given a time scale for the above and it's one of those situations where you probably have to be there. How quickly did this all happen? Which edge of the box? Any players chasing? Position of defender?

The joys of advantage.

You haven't given a time scale for the above and it's one of those situations where you probably have to be there. How quickly did this all happen? Which edge of the box? Any players chasing? Position of defender?

Fair point haha, I'll edit it now

The way I like to look at advantage is would they be able to do it from a free kick? so if the played it to a player that is offside, I think they could have easily done it from a free kick, so I wouldn't have brought it back!

I think you did right.

Was there the chance for a genuine advantage (not just retaining possession)? Yes. The advantage was there, he had a quick run with the ball after the foul, also had an unimpeded chance to take a shot or pass. His team mate let him down by being in an offside position. It happened quite quick, but if you got your "advantage" shout in with your arms in the appropriate position, then I agree with your decision.

What was the reaction to your decision?

The way I like to look at advantage is would they be able to do it from a free kick? so if the played it to a player that is offside, I think they could have easily done it from a free kick, so I wouldn't have brought it back!

Yeah that's what I was thinking

I think you did right.

Was there the chance for a genuine advantage (not just retaining possession)? Yes. The advantage was there, he had a quick run with the ball after the foul, also had an unimpeded chance to take a shot or pass. His team mate let him down by being in an offside position. It happened quite quick, but if you got your "advantage" shout in with your arms in the appropriate position, then I agree with your decision.

What was the reaction to your decision?

Wasn't particularly well received as the attackers naturally wanted another chance. Funnily enough a couple of the defending team started moaning at me because they thought I should have pulled it back (they were 7-1 down and wanted to prove me wrong... desperate I know), hence why I was asking. Think I probably did the right thing though since they were in a better position after the foul.

The Defenders Sounds like they just took the opportunity to let off some frustration. It's a "getting spanked" phenomenon. Suddenly, they are supporting the attackers not getting g decisions. Go figure.

Personally I think you're spot on to penalise the offside. If you pulled play back every time and advantage around the area didn't lead to a goal, free kicks would be forever re-taken because they didn't go in!

I reckon you're ok with the decision.
If the attacker is going down and manages to get the pass away to an offside player by all means bring it back for the original offence but as he's regained balance then passed no problem. As I've said before all strikers are offside anyway!!

For me, in this situation, the point of no return (i.e. when you no longer pull it back) is when the attacker gains his composure and is in control and able to make a decision without being under pressure. If this was the case, offside.

In my head "Foul - 3- 2- 1-ADVANTAGE!" if he still has chance to shoot/pass to teammate in shooting position.

Or ; "Foul - 3-2-1- PEEEEP! No Advantage, free kick"

for me you have made the right call, i dont really judge advtantage on a time restraint all the time, sometimes, as you have done, it is based on if they actually gain an advatage - as everyone else has said, the attacker could have had a pop at goal which would be an advantage - it is the other attackers fault that he is stood in an offisde position

good call :)

Agreed, I don't use that technique all the time, but it can be useful if you think an advantage may develop.

Very often it's a gut feeling

It's a quid every time you use it.....two quid if a goal results.

Lol......use it all you like and I hope it helps. Just beware of trying to count seconds - "one - elephant-two -elephant etc"

You'll find your 'count' of three will change pace with the pace of the game. Three seconds in a fast game seems a lot longer than three seconds in a slow ploddy veterans game.

Back