A&H

Advantage in PA

refdeedz

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted some input on this.

Team A attacker has the ball in the PA. Team B defender misses the ball defending and kicks Team A attacker in the shins. Team A attacker maintained control of the ball with Team B defender still in front of them. There is a wide open Team A player that could easily score if ball is passed to them.

At this stage - Do you call a penalty?

Play was allowed to continue. Team A attacker moves around Team B defender, and takes a shot. Shot goes just wide.

What would you do at this stage? Would the the advantage be considered taken? Or should the play come back for a penalty kick.

With that said, in general, when do you consider the advantage fulfilled when called in the PA. For example, if they had a scoring opportunity and missed, is that enough?

Thanks for you input.

The Referee Store
Thread 'Should I have given a penalty?'

I had the same situation earlier in the year. General consensus was that at grass roots football, the advantage to the team is a penalty rather than the OGSO.

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted some input on this.

Team A attacker has the ball in the PA. Team B defender misses the ball defending and kicks Team A attacker in the shins. Team A attacker maintained control of the ball with Team B defender still in front of them. There is a wide open Team A player that could easily score if ball is passed to them.

At this stage - Do you call a penalty?

Play was allowed to continue. Team A attacker moves around Team B defender, and takes a shot. Shot goes just wide.

What would you do at this stage? Would the the advantage be considered taken? Or should the play come back for a penalty kick.

With that said, in general, when do you consider the advantage fulfilled when called in the PA. For example, if they had a scoring opportunity and missed, is that enough?

Thanks for you input.
Unless an attacker has an empty goal 2 yards out don't play advantage.

A penalty is the better "advantage" 99/100.

Unless an attacker has an empty goal 2 yards out don't play advantage.

A penalty is the better "advantage" 99/100.
Exactly that! Also 99/100 the expectation is that you will award the penalty rather than advantage. I'm struggling to recall an incident where I have seen advantage played in such a situation.

I’ve only ever played advantage in the PA once and it was a huge risk. Attacker had an open goal but was a little wider than he’d have liked.
Luckily for me he scored but I still learned the valuable lesson not to bother playing advantage unless the ball is virtually in the net!

The key thing is that if you allow play to continue then it MUST be a better chance to score than the penalty. I.E open goal a few yards out and attacker on their feet able to roll it in.

Trust me, give the penalty.
They almost always miss the chance if you play advantage anyway.
Unless it's a certain goal, and by certain I mean unequivocally not a chance it can be missed

I once used my 'thinking time' to see if I could play an advantage on a penalty decision, I couldn't so blew after a couple of seconds.

No complaints, penalty scored, everyone was happy. I think i would do it again in the same situation but it's only happened to me once in 4 seasons.

USSF used to teach that the only advantage in the PA was a goal. I’m not sure they really thought that, but thought that standard would result in fewer mistakes than a more complex one. Advantage means that not calling the foul is better for the team that was fouled than the restart. It’s very rare that an open play after a foul is better than a PK.

It seems like the consensus is either give the penalty (don't play advantage) or if you are playing advantage it better be a sure goal.

Just for my understanding with a bit of exaggeration. What if you give that advantage with an empty net and the player somehow misses the net. That should be considered giving them the advantage. You've given them the opportunity to score and they missed. I don't think because they missed, a penalty should be called. Is this the correct thought process?

It seems like the consensus is either give the penalty (don't play advantage) or if you are playing advantage it better be a sure goal.

Just for my understanding with a bit of exaggeration. What if you give that advantage with an empty net and the player somehow misses the net. That should be considered giving them the advantage. You've given them the opportunity to score and they missed. I don't think because they missed, a penalty should be called. Is this the correct thought process?

If they have the whole goal to aim at, no player to beat, with a great angle, close to goal and steady on their feet, then that's better than a penalty where they've got the keeper to beat. That's the sort of advantage you're looking for.

If they miss, that's their own fault. If they moan, explain how they advantage was better than the pen (see above) and if they still won't shut up, consider that sin bin.

Otherwise, give the pen!

Back