A&H

Absolutely Disgusting

The Referee Store
terrible, yes

but....if the story is accurate

why did the referee approach the parent and not the team manager/s?
Since when does a referee send off a spectator?
...and then does it again to another spectator?
Why does he say he was on his own? - see above, ref team managers
Did the team managers try to 'protect' the referee during the incident / after the match and, if not, why not?
What was he doing trying to stop the woman walking off after she had spat at him? How was he doing this?

Too damn right, Manchester FA Chief Executive, I hope that you begin by taking a long hard look at what your organisation can learn from this

As much as I agree with you @haywain in that the referee made some mistakes in this situation, it doesn't excuse the behaviour.

We are taught not to get involved in confrontations, which it appears the referee did. Having said that, you have to think about the situation he was in, being subjected to abuse does funny things to us. Lessons to be learned though!

In all fairness @haywain I wouldn't necessarily assess the MEN's write up as a wholly factual account on what happened. Clearly there are lessons to be learnt from such incidents, rare as they are and knowing Colin those lessons will already have been wholly and swiftly evaluated.

UPDATE - Manchester FA have now issued the following statement is relation to this: http://www.manchesterfa.com/news/2014/may/official-statement

Last edited:
In all fairness @haywain I wouldn't necessarily assess the MEN's write up as a wholly factual account on what happened. Clearly there are lessons to be learnt from such incidents, rare as they are and knowing Colin those lessons will already have been wholly and swiftly evaluated.

UPDATE - Manchester FA have now issued the following statement is relation to this: http://www.manchesterfa.com/news/2014/may/official-statement

thanks for that. asm. i'm pleased to hear that he hasn't quit the game

Just seen this on the Daily Mail as well. Glad it is getting noticed from the bigger picture so maybe it might make people think twice before attacking officials

I just don't understand what goes through your head when you do that. It's like the three officials all beating up a young striker because he misses a shot.

A few good points raised by Haywain in that you shouldnt respond to the spectators, if you need them removing you ask the team manager to do it, you cant really send off a non club official either. Also why wasnt the referee more protected from at least the other teams coaches/parents?

In saying that, I totally agree that it is inexcusable behavior, especially at an U9s game! If it was an older referee then I bet they'd have thought twice about it too! Its so wrong to do this to generally young officials who can be vulnerable at times, especially if the games are a learning curve for them!

Last edited:
Back