A&H

Ability to change your decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

jertzee

I was taking charge of an U15 cup game, played in good spirit.

Tthe away team was attacking and play heading towards the corner flag furthest away from the club assistants.

I was within 15 yards of play but three players challenging I could not be sure who had the last touch as the ball crossed the goalline.
I assumed by the trajectory of the ball it was a goal kick and no players appealed for a corner.

Until, that was after a second thinking time, when I pointed to the goal area and shouted "Goal kick".

At that point the attacking team palyers said (politely) "That was a corner ref", and even one of the defenders nodded and agreed.

I stood my ground, apologised if I was wrong, saying I thought it came off the forward and stated that it was to be a goal kick.

The question I have is that could I have changed my decision? It was obvious I got it wrong as all three players agreed it was a corner.

I obviously didn't want the players to feel that I could be influenced and that was also part of my reason not to change my decision.

Is this a case that I should have used Law18 and given a corner or was I unable to do so?

Thanks

The Referee Store
If defenders are going to be honest with you, then accept the gift. If it was as quick as a few seconds and the game hadn't restarted, then you could have changed your mind and awarded the corner kick. I have done so in the past and when the coach/manager queried it, I deflected any criticism by pointing out it was his player who corrected my error.

The exact same thing happened to me yesterday. Very close call so I assumed by the trajectory of the ball that it was a goal kick so that's what I pointed for. The attacking player said that the defender had admitted taking a touch so I look to the defender and he agreed, nodded and said that he had the last touch. I then said thank you and changed the restart to a corner

Absolutely change the decision.

You only serve to make yourself look daft and feed the myth of the arrogant 'I know better than you' ref that never drops a clangger and never gets any respect.

We're only human and our talking during a match is not limited to telling players off.

Once when I was playing, I was GK and I came out of my box to clear the ball but the striker got there first, shot and the ball hit my shins and went off for a corner. The ref gave goal kick but I said to him that it was a corner and rolled the ball to the corner flag, he said no, goal kick, so both the attackers and I thought he was a prat. They praised me for my honesty but frankly, I felt insulted by the referee.

so ... two minutes later... you think it's a corner, give a corner and the same defender says, no ref, it was a throw-in

and the attacker says, he's having you on, ref, it was a corner

... perhaps it's best if they try to play football and you try to referee

Always try and use your experience, by observing players reactions, giving yourself a second or so thinking time to make a decision. Dont always rush them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back