A&H

Junior/Youth Abandonment

I understand that Charlie, and I think that's where thinks need to be rethought, the number of people turning up at A&E every weekend surely suggests something

The Referee Store
With regards to first aid, I am actually a trained first aider and knew when I saw his leg it was serious and required an ambulance. With no stretcher available I knew moving him was too much trouble and would cause the poor laddie far to much pain and could aggravate the injury even more so was better to leave him there and cover him with plenty of thick coats to keep him warm.

No, the coaches agreed to abandon the game due the fact most of the players were a little shocked and distressed. With 15 minutes left and the score at 3-0 with the other team looking highly unlikely to score it made more sense to call it a day and abandon the game.

Because it was U13 I would say that's fine, but if it were anything higher, I'd say you'd have to get on with it. A player hurting himself is not a reason for abandonment.

A few points.

Serious injury with no immediate prospect of moving the player without potentially making the injury worse, then abandonment is the only option. This is on two points, one is the time that will elapse before the player can be moved and the the second is that few players are going to want to continue having seen such a serious injury. The time elapsed is important as players will get cold and be more likely to incur injury themselves after a period of inactivity.

Regarding the time taken for an ambulance to arrive, resources are scarce and prioritisation of cases will have taken place. The risk to life would have been of the highest priority and this injury, while distressing for the player and his/her family, is unlikely to have been life threatening. If you want to change it, enter politics and/or lobby politicians to change budget priorities which are currently skewed towards rich people getting richer.

Brian: is there any reason why players cannot keep warm whilst the injured party is being dealt with? That is to say, there are vast swathes of pitch wherein they can keep warm.

Brian: is there any reason why players cannot keep warm whilst the injured party is being dealt with? That is to say, there are vast swathes of pitch wherein they can keep warm.
No reason at all, but if you try keeping 21 12 year olds running around to keep warm, then I think their parents will become pretty fed up. It's not an open age game. Also, even if players move around in the space available, there is no guarantee they will get warm. if the weather was anything like it was at my game, all they will have gotten is wetter and colder.

Right -- at a young age like that I'd agree, but as a general rule I'd say that a knee dislocation is not a suitable reason to abandon a match.

Right -- at a young age like that I'd agree, but as a general rule I'd say that a knee dislocation is not a suitable reason to abandon a match.
If it was open age, then I would have arranged for the player to be carried off and got the game restarted

Ryan,

Even in Open Age football, at local level I would advise the referee to abandon in situations like this.

The players will get cold (in England) and will lose focus. After seeing such an injury nobody would want to keep playing. Since they don't want to, make the decision for them.

It is not the injury you abandon for, but that the players cannot continue.

Higher level with better footballers and better medical help, then don't abandon.

Because it was U13 I would say that's fine, but if it were anything higher, I'd say you'd have to get on with it. A player hurting himself is not a reason for abandonment.

Hopefully, even you would have drawn the line at Muamba, Ryan, big wuzz that he was :rolleyes:

I work with a female Bolton fan who would kick your nuts off for that comment!

I work with a female Bolton fan who would kick your nuts off for that comment!
not like you to miss a huge dollop of irony, monkey, if, indeed, you did.

As for violent bolton fans, sadly, as a blackpool supporter, many of our fans still refer to wanderers fans as 'murderers' . Ask her about it and maybe suggest anger management

I did get it - However, I neglected the power of the smilee to convey that possibly :rolleyes:

I had a problem with in a rugby match that I was playing in. A player on my team dislocated his knee, because there were about 5/6 matches going on at once the school had hired some hospital first aides for the day. They were sat right next to the pitch we were on but didn't even bother to walk over (no exaggeration) for 10 minutes, then they just wandered on and didn't do much. Luckily one of the parents was a knee surgeon and helped the player until the ambulance arrived. There were a lot of complaints put in about them that day and I am 99.9% sure that they didn't get paid!!!

you think 1 hour is a long time to wait, try 2, they thought I had broken my neck whilst playing football but symptoms didn't show till a few hours later when I was at my st John ambulance meeting ( I'm a cadet sergeant) but I was in very capable hands, with my c- spine being mobilised , It was a very long time to wait but the NHS are stretched and I wouldn't want to come before a cardiac arrest as I couldn't come to any more harm.

I'm guessing your division doesn't have an ambulance? My St John division has the regional ambo, a divisional ambo and some RRV's so if we have any issues we can take an ambo. Thankfully we've never actually had to do that.

Back