A&H

A very good reason why players should remove jewellery.....

The Referee Store
It's not the first time this kind of accident has happened, either. A player in a league match in Germany several years ago did the same thing when jumping down from the perimeter fence he had climbed onto to celebrate scoring a goal. He also picked up a yellow card for his troubles.

Edit: Sorry, just checked and my memory was playing tricks on me (again). It was a Swiss league game not German (although one of the teams had a German name) and the player involved was a team mate of the goal scorer, not the scorer himself.

Last edited:
I'm still not sure what you mean by "shenanigans." I found an urban dictionary definition that suggests it means getting called out for trying to dupe someone. So in case you are doubting the veracity of the story, here is an extract from the Grauniad report on the incident:

"Servette midfielder Paulo Diogo [...] jumped up on a metal perimeter fence to salute the travelling fans in celebration of setting up his team's third goal for Jean Beauséjour in the 87th minute of their 4-1 away win over Schaffhausen in the Swiss Super League.

The Swiss-Portuguese, who only recently married, failed to notice that his newly-obtained wedding ring was caught in the barrier until he jumped back down and both the ring and most of his finger did not come with him.
[...]
Despite Diogo's misfortune the 29-year-old midfielder got no sympathy from [referee Florian] Etter and was promptly booked by the official for the length of his celebration."

For the full story, please see the link below.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2004/dec/07/newsstory.sport12

@Cheshire Ref - thanks for posting - although never nice - getting these stories out there can help sell the pre-game "you're not playing unless you take it off" chat in the tunnel

Wow. Referee showing a lack of common sense right here (not you Peter, the one in the story)

(Fingerless) hand up, who would caution someone for this if they just ripped off a finger?

Wow. Referee showing a lack of common sense right here. (Not you Peter, the one in the story)

(Fingerless) hand up, who would caution someone for this if they just ripped off a finger?

It would be incredibly harsh so not for me. Imagine it was a second caution...:confused:

That's polite speak for he think's the yellow card story is a load of old bollox. ;) :D
But I was, of course, wrong. :)

Still cannot believe he got a caution... Unless he was using the card to stem the bleeding :)

I can't tell the exact sequence of events from the one video clip I've seen of this but I'm prepared to believe that the referee may have brandished the yellow card before it became apparent that the guy had lost most of his finger. Even the player himself seemed unaware of the injury when he first jumped down from the fence.

Last edited:
Back