A&H

Junior/Youth A dilemma...

Matthew

RefChat Addict
Just had my fixtures through for this coming week and I've been appointed to ref the team that caused my match to be abandoned last weekend.

I'm really not sure what to do? I'm in no doubt that the actions I took were 100% correct but I know the team won't feel the same.Debating whether to ask to be taken off the game, or whether I should request that a league official is present.

Any advice is much appreciated.

:)

The Referee Store
Just had my fixtures through for this coming week and I've been appointed to ref the team that caused my match to be abandoned last weekend.

I'm really not sure what to do? I'm in no doubt that the actions I took were 100% correct but I know the team won't feel the same.Debating whether to ask to be taken off the game, or whether I should request that a league official is present.

Do you have a mentor or similar who could accompany you as a witness/chaperone, but is also a referee or assessor etc?

How long ago did this occur?

What age group are the team?

Why are you doubting your ability to control this game? They know who you are (if they've remembered) and what steps you'll take. You do know that causing a game to be abandoned costs a club a shedload of money.

You've been given this game on purpose, go do your best job on this game and enjoy your football.

Do you have a mentor or similar who could accompany you as a witness/chaperone, but is also a referee or assessor etc?

Not as such, but one of the guys that I ref academy football with is the head of my local RA, so I'll be having a chat with him at some point.

Do you have a foot?

Go kick the appointment secretary in the head for putting you in this position.

Oddly enough, that's what my parents said when I told them...:D

How long ago did this occur?

What age group are the team?

Why are you doubting your ability to control this game? They know who you are (if they've remembered) and what steps you'll take. You do know that causing a game to be abandoned costs a club a shedload of money.

You've been given this game on purpose, go do your best job on this game and enjoy your football.

This is an U16 team and the abandonment was last weekend.

I'm not doubting my ability to control the game, but it concerns me that the disciplinary process hasn't ended and that the behaviour of the team will likely be unchanged.

Come off the game, you shouldn't have been appointed to it anyway. Appointing a referee to a team where there is still an open disciplinary case involving him is sheer madness and totally wrong.

What was the abandonment for?
I'm all for asking for an appointment change. Having the same team the week after may not be the best thing for the match - and in all honesty, it may just mean you're going to cop more abuse than normal the moment you walk onto the pitch.
Of course it could also mean their behaviour will be flawless when they see it's you....
There shouldn't be any issue with asking to be reassigned if you genuinely feel that an appointment is a disservice to the game - although I guess it may depend a little on your appointments secretary.

Consider it a moment from the perspective of the team that caused the abandonment. The manager when he sees that he has the same ref that abandoned the week before is most likely cussing under his breath. He knows that he/his players will not be able to get away with their usual behaviour. He knows that if he puts a foot wrong he could be up on another misconduct charge. He will be briefing his players that "we've got that same **** ref from last time lads, so calm it down on the pitch". Do the game, turn up as you would usually do and be polite and pleasant to the manager/players - demonstrate that the last game is history, and you are here to treat this game the same as any other. Do the mandatory checks. Once the game starts, set your stall out early. Any grief at all from the side, a stare with raised eyebrows to the manager - non verbally saying "really...?". I think you are likely to get a smoother ride this game than the previous, but _any_ snide remarks from the players I would be considering as dissent - they will soon remember that you don't take any **** and calm down.

Come off the game, you shouldn't have been appointed to it anyway. Appointing a referee to a team where there is still an open disciplinary case involving him is sheer madness and totally wrong.

Have to agree with this.

The potential for things to explode again at the first decision they don't like is high.....it's really a no win situation for you.

Speak to your RDO and see what their advice is.....

Back