A&H

5v5 Power league

joe cunningham

Hi all,

Been thinking of joining my local power league so I can get a few 5 asides in midweek. Does anybody ref in these sort of leagues and if so what are they like?

Cheers guys.

The Referee Store
I've done a fair bit... It's not that bad. Full of primadonnas but so long as you're tough on them and remind them who's boss, you'll be fine.

I used to play in leisure leagues, the refs were very well supported by the group against the idiots that I describe above. Extra bit of ££ too

Generally they're ok.
As DB says, if you show them you know what you're doing they will usually be alright. However, you will occasionally have to remind them. I've had three off in the last two weeks, all for OFFINABUS - two from the same team last week. I do three games a night, and both the other games were fine both weeks. Last night all three games were really good. It's hard to know from one week to the next. I very rarely have to dismiss anyone for anything apart from language, because sliding tackles are banned meaning that dangerous challenges don't really happen.

I spoke to the captain of the team from the week before last and he was moaning about how stupid his player was, because they know me by now and know that I never change my mind and I always clamp down on abusive language.
The captain from last week complained about me (again!) to the guy who runs it when he was sent off, because "he's always spoiling the game! He did the same thing last time as well!" They'll learn eventually!

If you're thinking about doing it, it may be worth dropping in to see what the players are like before you do. Even if you have the same players at the weekend some seem to behave differently because they think it's only 5 / 6 a side so it's not proper football so the rules don't apply!
The other thing is they tend to have the same referees every week, so they get used to certain things. This can sometimes be a problem.

Thanks all for your input. Do you have to do pass a different course or is the basic referees one okay?

In my experience. Avoid them like the plague. More agro than it's worth.
What makes you say this Ross

I've done a fair bit... It's not that bad. Full of primadonnas but so long as you're tough on them and remind them who's boss, you'll be fine.

I used to play in leisure leagues, the refs were very well supported by the group against the idiots that I describe above. Extra bit of ££ too
Roughly how much is the match fee?

Last edited by a moderator:
What makes you say this Ross
Well, where do i begin?
  • Getting told security will be watching one of your games as its going to "kick off"
  • Having a player pull a knife on another player after being tackled
  • Numerous punch ups even before games have started
  • A lot of players have been banned from playing 11 a side and use false names to play 5 a side
  • 2 death threats
Need i go on?

Well, where do i begin?
  • Getting told security will be watching one of your games as its going to "kick off"
  • A lot of players have been banned from playing 11 a side and use false names to play 5 a side
  • 2 death threats
Need i go on?
jeeesus Christ :eek: I've heard a few little bad things about them but nothing to this level!!

Well, where do i begin?
  • 2 death threats
Need i go on?

Not in Cornwall, surely?!?

The match fee for Leisure leagues is £20 for two hours. It's not bad. I used to ref Leisure Leagues until the FA put a stop to it. LL aren't affiliated to the FA, FA want money... FA threaten to de-register you as a referee... FA win.

You don't have to be a qualified ref mate. I can't speak for too many organisations because I've not played a lot of league 5 aside, I don't really enjoy it if I'm Honest. Again, I can speak for Leisure leagues; they train you if you require training, they also give you kit :)

The match fee for Leisure leagues is £20 for two hours. It's not bad. I used to ref Leisure Leagues until the FA put a stop to it. LL aren't affiliated to the FA, FA want money... FA threaten to de-register you as a referee... FA win.

You don't have to be a qualified ref mate. I can't speak for too many organisations because I've not played a lot of league 5 aside, I don't really enjoy it if I'm Honest. Again, I can speak for Leisure leagues; they train you if you require training, they also give you kit :)

That's abit of a con from the FA, thanks for your help anyway.

Yeah mate it's rubbish. Nothing I could do really, if the FA aren't earning from it, they'll try and stop it

jeeesus Christ :eek: I've heard a few little bad things about them but nothing to this level!!
Cant say i enjoyed it much

No, Croydon and Slough

Lost track of all the LL crap if im honest, no intention of reffing down there so doesnt really bother me

Hi all,

Been thinking of joining my local power league so I can get a few 5 asides in midweek. Does anybody ref in these sort of leagues and if so what are they like?

Cheers guys.
Avoid at all costs. Sure the monies great but you have to walk the gauntlet to your car with teams hanging around afterwards, often with the benefit of sales of on site alcohol to give them dutch courage.

The proportion of assaults to referees involved is significantly higher in small sided games which are run for commercial gain.

Avoid at all costs. Sure the monies great but you have to walk the gauntlet to your car with teams hanging around afterwards, often with the benefit of sales of on site alcohol to give them dutch courage.

The proportion of assaults to referees involved is significantly higher in small sided games which are run for commercial gain.
Thanks Brian. Good mix of opinions here

Hi all,

Cheers guys.

Have done PowerLeague for a short time. 3 short words of advice - DONT DO IT.

But by all means if you want to get involved in short sided games find FA affiliated 5 or 6 a side. No problems when I've done those.

Well, where do i begin?
  • 2 death threats
Need i go on?

Pfffft, that's it?

Was expecting aggro, not handbags ;)

Have done PowerLeague for a short time. 3 short words of advice - DONT DO IT.

But by all means if you want to get involved in short sided games find FA affiliated 5 or 6 a side. No problems when I've done those.

Why does it matter if it's FA affiliated or not?

Why does it matter if it's FA affiliated or not?
If it's not affiliated and something happens you won't get any support. The fa don't like non-affiliated competitions: Presumably because they don't get their cut! We frequently have charity competitions round here. If they're not affiliated then there are always letters from the cfa threatening suspension for anyone who does them!
This tends to be why the referees are not qualified/ registered and why discipline can be awful. Even at 'proper' events it's not always great, but non-affiliated ones are not worth the hassle.

Back