A&H

2015/16 Review

Darius

RefChat Addict
So by now everyone is done for the season....I say that knowing that there are still games left in our Supply League on Tuesday but still 99.9% are!

Time to review your seasons! Copy and Paste and answer the following points!

1. Total Games Officiated in?
2. Leagues Officiated in?
3. Promotion?
4. Favourite/Best Game?

5. What was your best skill this season?
6. What has the most room for improvement?

7. If you could go back in time to the start of the season and give yourself some advice for this season what would it be now in retrospect?

The Referee Store
1. I've done 81 Games this year. I've probably had 30-40 called off as well.
2. West Yorkshire League, Bradford Sunday Alliance, West Yorkshire County Amateur League, Halifax Saturday League, Northern Under 19s Alliance, Under 21s Development League, County Vets League, County Flexi League, Academy League, Women's Northern Premier League.
3. Promoted 6-4.
4. Sunday County Cup Final on Line. In terms of middle District Cup Saturday Semi Final middle.
5. I've done a lot of work on the line, which has improved beyond compare.
6. I'm loud, and I give people plenty to throw in my face off the pitch. I need to 'play the game' better off the pitch.
7. Don't take a game in the morning of a supply league game and learn when to shut the fiddlesticks up!

1. Oooh, not sure exactly - probably in the ballpark of 20, with 5 lines and at least 10 others called off. I'll be keeping a more exact count next season and hope to do more as I won't be moving house and job mid-season!
2. Mid-Essex, Essex Olympian and Pope and Smith Sunday. Lines on the Ryman U21 as well, and a couple of pre-season friendlies back in Surrey.
3. Yep, 7-6 and moving straight on to do 6-5 next season.
4. I'm apparently bad luck for the runaway winners of one local league - they were unbeaten all season, then I got assigned to two of their late-season matches. They ended up scraping a last-second draw in one match and lost the second 3-2 having been 2-1 up. The first goal by their opponents I was particularly proud of as the CAR had incorrectly flagged offside against a non-involved player and I managed to work out what had happened and overrule. So both an exciting match to be involved in and a piece of refereeing I'm proud of in one game.
5. I think my foul recognition and sense of placement to view fouls has increased noticeably this season. But.....
6. I need to get the cards out earlier as a general rule, both for dissent and overly forceful tackles.
7. I should have got myself sorted with Essex FA sooner, would have meant much less of a rush to get the promotion matches squeezed in.

1. Total Games Officiated in? Approx 50

3. Promotion? Trying for promotion, not heard of result of this, but suspect it's not enough this time around despite some good marks.

4. Favourite/Best Game? Bizarrely my favourite game was a lower league, mid table, nothing match. Everybody played with good attitude and spirit, lots of goals, played hard and well. Happy days. Best game was a higher level, national cup match which was a see saw, ding dong battle from start to finish and tested me out in all kinds of ways. Loved it.

5. What was your best skill this season? Fitness and movement around the pitch. And quick wit.

6. What has the most room for improvement? Consistency has been an issue in a few games. And quick wit doesn't always work! Use with care kids!

7. If you could go back in time to the start of the season and give yourself some advice for this season what would it be now in retrospect? Don't worry about assessed games so much, just enjoy the ride.

So by now everyone is done for the season....I say that knowing that there are still games left in our Supply League on Tuesday but still 99.9% are!

Time to review your seasons! Copy and Paste and answer the following points!

1. Total Games Officiated in?
3. Promotion?
4. Favourite/Best Game?

5. What was your best skill this season?
6. What has the most room for improvement?

7. If you could go back in time to the start of the season and give yourself some advice for this season what would it be now in retrospect?
1. 0
2. None
3. No
4. N/A
5. Watching ;)
6. Registering?
7. Leave RefChat :p

1. Total Games Officiated in? 30
2. Leagues Officiated in? Too many to mention
3. Promotion? To Contributory League Assessor
4. Favourite/Best Game? Probably the one where I had two known problem sides. One of whom had a player banned for haranguing a referee. The referee decided he was going to quit as a result of the abuse received. I had a proper full on belly laugh during most of the game. I told the player mentioned above that I knew who he was, I knew what he'd done and that I was sure he wouldn't cause me any problems. He didn't until late in the game when I rather harshly cautioned him for delaying the restart at a throw-in. I got 95 and 100 off the two teams and the best team lost.
5. What was your best skill this season? Experience
6. What has the most room for improvement? Fitness, well new left knee actually. I haven't seen the doctor or the physio yet as the swelling hasn't gone down 3 weeks after my last training session, so I know it's bad.
7. If you could go back in time to the start of the season and give yourself some advice for this season what would it be now in retrospect? Retire now lol. Actually no, because then I would have missed out on 5 finals in 8 days. My best ever tally. I also would not have officiated in 5 different types of football in 10 days, nor officiated at my 2nd County Final in 3 years. Now I really am done. Please look after refereeing in my absence.

1. Total game officiated in - 82
2. Leagues officiated in? - Too many. Going to drop one at least next season.
3. Promotion? - No - but am well on the way for 7-6 this season - 2 decent assessments so far, plus aced the promotion seminar.
4. Favourite/best game? - Supply League Reserve Cup Semi at the end of the season - saved my best until last middle of the season. This is the highest level middle I've done and was a tough game - I worked really hard and got 95 off both teams.
5. Best skill this season - taking no sh!t, but sometimes using quick wit instead of cards to do so.
6. Most room for improvement? - Fitness. Partly general fitness, plus completed all season with shin splints, then when that finally settled after about 12 months tendinitis took over. Hoping a rest over end of season will sort that out.
7. Retrospect? - focus on the enjoyment, and don't take so many games. Weekends have often just disappeared after 4 games and not enough time with the family. will change that for next season.

1. Total Games Officiated in? 31 21 middles 10 lines
2. Leagues Officiated in? Spartan South Midlands and the Amateur Football Combination
3. Promotion? Met minimum criteria for 5 to 4, but didn't get promoted, really gutted. Would have preferred the county FA to have managed my expectations a bit better.
4. Favourite/Best Game? I enjoyed two games at Old Parmiterians on the artificial pitch, close games, a good battle, good assistants.

5. What was your best skill this season? My adaptability, I've had to learn some things I would have hoped to have been told (or made clear), things good refs wouldn't even have to think about (i.e. if your NAR flags, blow your whistle, he's not just drawing your attention to something you need to make a decision on, he's made the decision).
6. What has the most room for improvement? Club scores - although it's really more about less correct refereeing. There are some small unimportant incidents that just bother the teams and give your more opportunities for persistent infringements that you can live without.

1. Total Games Officiated in? 25 (10 middles, 15 lines)
2. Leagues Officiated in? Brentwood Sunday, Essex Senior, Women Premier League, Womens Prem Reserves
3. Promotion? No, applying this season for 7-6
4. Favourite/Best Game? I haven't actually had a 'bad' game ... enjoyed doing more AR work
5. What was your best skill this season? Best skill I'd say is match control - trying to keep the players happy and enjoy the game ... some may say weak refereeing, but I don't think so.
6. What has the most room for improvement? Most room for improvement, ironically enough from the above, is cautions/reds - I have once or twice this season not shown a card when I really should have, least I know I made the mistake so I can work on it? also, being confident in my decisions and application of the law - i.e cautioning a player for coming on as a sub without my permission ... I felt terrible for doing it as both teams were not happy about it.
7. If you could go back in time to the start of the season and give yourself some advice for this season what would it be now in retrospect? Be more confident in myself and cover more game, also get fitter!

1. Total Games Officiated in? 86 (39 middles, 46 lines, one 4th)
2. Leagues Officiated in? Wessex League, Dorset Premier League, Dorset League, Dorset U18 League, Dorset Women's League, Bournemouth Sunday League
3. Promotion? Yep :D
4. Favourite/Best Game? Dorset Women's Cup Final
5. What was your best skill this season? Not a skill as such, but I've put a lot of effort into improving my fitness.
6. What has the most room for improvement? Still a lot to do fitness-wise for where I want to be in a few years' time. Seem to have lost the mean streak I had last season too.
7. If you could go back in time to the start of the season and give yourself some advice for this season what would it be now in retrospect? Learn to say no to appointment secretaries!

1. Total Games Officiated in? 101, 66 middles and 35 lines
2. Leagues Officiated in? Mainly Spartan, Herts County, Greater London Women's, Southern Counties U18 and wide range of County Cups
3. Promotion? Yup, 6 to 5 :)
4. Favourite/Best Game? An Above Standard assessment on a 'Challenging' game on a large, muddy pitch! Plus being lucky enough to be involved in cup finals from six different competitions
5. What was your best skill this season? Fitness, Stepped approach and teamwork
6. What has the most room for improvement? Upping my involvement when the temperature of the game rises and getting tighter on persistent infringement.
7. If you could go back in time to the start of the season and give yourself some advice for this season what would it be now in retrospect? Invest earlier in better boots and waterproof match cards :)

Not really sure if the number of games. Maybe 20 on the local youth league plus 2 lines preseason. Got bored of the awful parental behaviour so packed up at Christmas. Did my rugby refereeing course, 3 games of total respect then offered a cup final. Registered for football next season but it's only a filler for when there's no rugby in my diary.

1. Total Games Officiated in? 38
2. Leagues Officiated in? mid essex, pope and smith sunday, chelmsford youth, blackwater and dengie youth
3. Promotion? nope, next season yes
4. Favourite/Best Game? favourite; cup final as a NAR with a ref that communicated really well, made the job easy and pleasurable
best; u17 game where i issued my first red card for a headbutt... took some flak off the manager and presumably parents of the lad i walked...
5. What was your best skill this season? sticking to my guns
6. What has the most room for improvement? pff everything really... positioning, fitness, communication... you name it, i can improve !

dont register with too many leagues and go for promotion asap to get some development pointers

1. 51
2. BUCS, Mercian Regional League, Telford Sunday League, Burnley Sunday League, North West Counties.
3. Yes 7-6
4. Has to be County Cup Final Line - Middle has to be Uni Derby 3rds v 4ths
5. Grown so much more confidence and been able to handle bad situations well. Seeing as I’ve had 3 massive situations & 1 minor incident from October to March and dealt with it well, in my opinion growing on from each one.
6. Leniency maybe being too lenient isn’t good at times
7. 2 middles and a Supply line in the same day (270 minutes) isn’t the smartest idea to do, but I got through it steadily.

1. About 38 all in
2. Medway Messenger Sunday League, Medway Messenger Youth League, South East Counties Women's League, Ryman U21 (assistant only)
3. No, going for 7-6 currently
4. Heartbeat United charity match.
5. Playing advantages (in my example)
6. Confidence in my decisions
7. Be more confident and stamp down on dissent early doors.

Back