A&H

1st game in 8 months

ladbroke8745

RefChat Addict
I was chuffed to finally get the email about games coming back, albeit only friendlies, up here in Scotland and then subsequently getting appointed to 2 games.
Actually, didn't even know about the appointments until I got a phone call from the 2nd game home manager so went and checked the website.
The next day, I received a call from the manager of the 1st game and had a good 20 minute chat confirming the game, answering questions etc as its their first foray into 11 a side games, wanted to confirm protocols and asked if, as one of their boys has had a huge growth spurt since last set of games, if he would be allowed to wear a plain t shirt matching the colours of his team mates as a new shirt has been hard to come by yet. These are U12s. I said I am happy with it as I imagine that, like myself, they're just happy get back playing football.

Found out today that after spending so long on the phone answering questions it is my next door neighbour. I moved in 7 months ago. I've spoken with him many times, but never really knew his name (first name only) and likewise for him to me. His appointment sheet says initial and surname.

Has anyone else come across games where you've spoke to someone on the phone and didn't realise who they were or arrived at games and thought wow, didn't think it were you etc.

Last edited:
The Referee Store
Very similar for me - last night was my first game since October. Surprisingly it ended 0-0. Both teams were very rusty and started at 100mph and blew themselves out in the first 15 minutes. Quite happy with my own performance. Usually it takes me a few friendlies to get the concentration levels back but felt good last night. I was disappointed in the condition of the pitch considering it had had hardly been played on for 14 months. Another friendly on Saturday afternoon.

Similar to you - I had a friendly last year arranged by the home side. I contacted the away manager and soon realised it was our new opposite neighbour who moved in about a month ago!

Back