A&H

1st assessment and development form

haywain

the voice of reason
Level 7 Referee
Despite what i said on another thread, I'm not sure that I do want to know my score, now :(

Any and all feedback much appreciated - just be gentle with me....please :) - just fyi, i've refereed about 65 matches since qualifying in January last year but this was only my second open age game

I've added one or two of my own comments in brackets

Referee Assessment & Development Form
Type of Report Promotion 7 to 6
Assessors must complete as advised in the “Assessor Guide”.

1. Application of Law:
Pre-match responsibilities were carried out in part, players’ equipment needs to be checked ie footwear needs a visual inspection, all other aspects were completed.

(I did look at the studs but, as mentioned on another thread, assessor suggested that i should make the looking more obvious)

Distinguishing all types of offences was recognised due in part to a very quiet and sporting game with few offences being committed.

Your caution and one dismissal were correct in law but look to isolate the player before noting their name. I do advise when showing the appropriate card that you step back a few places and raise your card above your head as the card was only shown at eye level.

(I do have a habit of dealing with the cautions and sendings off on the spot - i blame being 6'5" :))

Offside offences were missed at times by not keeping your assistants in view. (Wish I had an earpiece and a buzzer. Then it wouldn't matter so much) Some of the flagging was incorrect but you do need to demonstrate your ability to be in position to make some sound judgements of this law. This will show your assistants that they may be at fault at times by indicating too quickly before the ball has reached the player.

Dissent was infrequent and the caution applied in the second half was given at an opportune moment when tensions were rising slightly in the game. On the whole this game had a passive approach by players with few transgressions being shown.

(As mentioned in another thread, I gave both sides the heads up that I was being assessed so they shouldn't be surprised if I refereed quite strictly to the book. Good thing / bad thing?)

2. Match Control:
Involvement was evident throughout the game with some actions to gain respect by players. I did note that at times your hand signals were not being applied or a casual movement being applied, without conviction (slow arm movement). Try to be more positive with a brisk arm indicating direction. Players at times did enquire to which direction a throw-in or free kick was being given.

(Usually a reflection of my uncertainty about which way to give a throw, etc)

You did manage dissent when needed with the result of few transgressions except on the occasion mentioned above in section 1.

Your concentration did waver at times, resulting in missing some minor offences of pushing and holding. This was apparent in the second half with a few players starting to tire in the warm sunshine.

(See below - advantage)

After the third assistant being used by the home team, you did not give any instruction or note the change being made.

(B@rsteds, they could have told me :). I mentioned to the assessor that I have got used to having one asst ref for the whole game for most of my youth matches so, hopefully, this is something that I will deal with better with practise)

3. Positioning, Fitness & Work rate:
Your positioning was erratic at times which did result in having your back to one of your assistants. (Perhaps they should give assessors the means of issuing a small electric shock to the body each time that happens. soon sorted!) On corners try to move into the penalty area when the ball is in flight. This gives you an opportunity to either move forward or narrower to gain a better view of play.

Try and cover more of the field of play in open play as you were central at times, instead of moving wider using a zig zag approach. (Never heard this mentioned before!) I did note that you did vary your position at corners some of the time which is a suitable strategy to ensure players are not always aware of your position.

Fitness requires some fast movement by sprinting to gain or catch up with play, as at times you did hang back to await direction of play. Moving into a more forward position can be used to clarify your assistant’s indication and decisions being made for off-sides.

Workrate could be judged if you further advance into an improved position (side view of play and assistants) and sprinting on the odd occasion.
(I have a habit of catching up with play rather than trying to overtake it - just pleased to get there at my age :))

4. Alertness & Awareness,
Including management of stoppages :

Concentration and awareness does need some adjustment as previously mentioned, taking up a slightly wider stance and keeping a peripheral trailing eye on players would enhance your awareness of incidents taking place on your far side position.

Stoppages were dealt with in a quick and effective manner and restarts were quickly applied.

(This i picked up on here - no need to stand over free kicks - whistle, signal, move to next position)

Substitutions were dealt with no delay and from the halfway line.

(Must admit to being a bit clueless where subs were concerned so i got lucky. used to youth and roro and have rarely had team sheets until now. Player sent off mentioned that 'it's usually done by numbers' when i asked for his name. Went towards halfway line to 'meet' incoming sub, noted name ish and number, didn't note time. would appreciate 'best practise' formula suggestions)

No clear indication of advantage being applied (see below section 7)’ a firm shout will assist players that you have applied this clause in the law.

(again, see below - advantage)

5. Communication:
Your whistle was one tone and not always loud enough to signal a stoppage in play. On the more robust challenges try to give a few blasts of your whistle.

('Make it sing 'as my assessor/mentor said at a game that we watched a couple of weeks back)

Hand signals were not always applied and did give some confusion to players as to which direction of a free kick or throw in. You did indicate to teams at times which colour shirt had attained a kick or throw in. (Usually when i'm 'panicking' about which way the teams are kicking :))

Indirect free kicks were indicated clearly throughout this game.

Your body language did not display a positive attitude, as at times, no signal was given. A firmer robust movement of your arm gives confidence to your decision making and can assist you in decisions being firmly given.

6. Teamwork:
Meeting your assistants before the start of play resulted in a lengthy discussion taking place. I would suggest a shorter version for the following reasons.

(Somebody 'warned' me about this, on here. Note to self to heed future warnings :) - tho i need to mention this at next r.a. meet as, until now, i have followed their 'extensive' guidelines)

1/ Brief only the main requirements, ball in or out of play, corners and goal kicks, left or right wings and offsides and what instruction to apply ie wait until the ball is close to the player in an offside position before raising the flag, hold the flag upright for you to judge the infringement.

2/ the reason to curtail a lengthy discussion is that you may have a number of replacement assistants during the game which would delay the restart of play as you should give the same instruction to the replacement each time, (which makes complete sense) also they will only remember limited instructions.

On this occasion, the home team did have three replacements during the game with at least a few minutes delay, giving a full version of your instructions for the second change and no discussion for the third change that took place. (As per above, I hadn't even noticed the third change :()

I did note at times you did acknowledge your assistants, but would suggest as well as a thumbs up a shout of thank you (Christian name given) which does indicate firm team work.

7. Advantage:
I am sure advantage was played at times but had no indication by word or arm signals, I suggest a strong shout of “play on Advantage” and using both arms in a forward motion gives players and spectators your judgment of keeping the game flowing when a clear opportunity arises to the team’s benefit.

(He's spot on - I know what i should do but i do tend to think advantage rather than express it outwardly)

Strengths
Field of play inspection and laws of the game applied when needed.
Involvement in the game was shown.
Substitutes were noted with no delay in restarting the game

Development areas

Players equipment need to be inspected ie boots.
Fitness, workrate and positioning needs adjusting to attain improved view of play.
All communications should be used : a clear arm movement and a few blasts of the whistle on robust challenges.

(Final one for Brian - or any other assessor out there. Is it possible for you to gauge a rough idea of a mark from the above or not. I promise that I won't sue. No worries if you'd rather not/it's not the done thing)

Last edited:
The Referee Store
A few points i've picked up over the last couple of seasons in regards to your development areas:

3/ I was told to 'squueze the play'. Essentially, getting wide and then moving in towards your assistant with play between you. I've always struggled with getting wide. I've started getting out as soon as it practical and then moving back in, helps get a better view.

5/ If uncertain, just slam an arm up one way and shout. A incorrect throw in isn't the end of the world, but if you look confident about it, players are less likely to argue than if you look uncertain.

With advantage the most important thing is the voice, everyone hears it then get a quiet work in with one of the players involved, either fouled or fouler.

It's not a bad first assessment, take the positives, and find ways to develop ready for the next one!

pitch.jpeg Exactly as said.

Take the development areas, and try to put them into your game next time!

The squeezing play section mentioned above - this relates to advise I was given a few weeks back. I've got a good friend who is a L3 ref, and he came to watch me. He said the way you should be trying to run is a 'diamond'. This means, if you see the photo attached (do the same for the other half too), you should be trying to run these lines. When play is moving forward, you should be trying to run the one on the left, with your liner on the opposite side, in view. Obviously, don't follow this all the time, but as a rough guide. Similarly, when a GK is being taken, go on the opposite side (right side). That way, you can then squeeze if the ball goes over that way, you're in great view for the drop zone if you're standing near the halfway mark, and again if you squeeze it has your opposite liner in view. Takes a while to get your head around it, and I'm still trying to get it into my game, but I am doing as much as I can, and it really does work!

Just a tip I was given, and my coach backed this up, the week earlier, just not calling it the diamond, instead showing me the lines I should run.

Well done anyway, onwards and upwards!

haywain, welcome to the world of assessments :)

I'm sorry that I can't give you an indication of a mark as you can't always be sure they will reflect the words used. Reading between the lines, it seem you need to develop your decisiveness by deciding where you want to go, making a quicker decision and being convincing when you give a signal. Tackle those 3 areas and you'll have cracked it

Haywain, you seem to have a bit of trouble with the club assistants (not through any fault of your own mind), however, I'd suggest going a game without them and seeing how you cope (unless competition rules state otherwise). If you find you don't need them, then you know you'll get a solid 3.5 x 2 (for the weighting) for the teamwork section! Would just prevent having to constantly go over and give a talk every time they change assistants!

Hi Haywain,

As Brian has said, marking somebody else's assessment is difficult. All assessors see slightly different things and make comments differently, eventhough we have the same guidence to follow.
From the report, he has spotted some simple development areas in your performance. Solving these for future matches and assessments will improve you as a referee and should result in better assessments at future games.

As an assessor watching 7-6 candidates, lack of clear signals and tone of whistle are nearly always spotted; positioning can always be improved; and briefing of CAR normal.
Your assessment mentions the things expected.

Haywain, you seem to have a bit of trouble with the club assistants (not through any fault of your own mind), however, I'd suggest going a game without them and seeing how you cope (unless competition rules state otherwise). If you find you don't need them, then you know you'll get a solid 3.5 x 2 (for the weighting) for the teamwork section! Would just prevent having to constantly go over and give a talk every time they change assistants!

Weighting for teamwork with CAR is only 1 (not 2) in county promotion assessments.

Thanks for all feedback, guys. Much appreciated.

Svenny, it was emailed to me via my Area Co-ordinator

Back