A&H

12.4 Restart of play after fouls and misconduct

marshr02

Newish ref here. Can anyone help me.

I've been reading this section of the LOTG, and it seems particularly poorly worded. I've been trying to simplify it in my own mind, so it's easier to remember. Perhaps someone has come across a neat little summary of this section?

yours hopefully :)

The Referee Store
Newish ref here. Can anyone help me.

I've been reading this section of the LOTG, and it seems particularly poorly worded. I've been trying to simplify it in my own mind, so it's easier to remember. Perhaps someone has come across a neat little summary of this section?

yours hopefully :)
The great majority of the section is a "try to remember but may never happen to you" set of words.
Main issues are to restart with a free kick or penalty if the ball is in play when the offence occurs, but if the ball is out of play when something like violent conduct occurs, restart with the throw in, corner or whatever.

I dunno, seems pretty usual poor wording to me . . .

As @ChasObserverRefDeveloper noted, the most important part to remember is that if the ball is not in play, the restart doesn’t change.

next, in importance, I’d say is that if the misconduct is also a foul, restart based on the foul

when in doubt, if the misconduct involved contact, go with DFK, and if it didn’t with IFK (this will usually be correct)

and beyond that, it really memorizing, as IFAB keeps stripping simplicity in favor of detailed differences. (At the levels I do, if I get the restart wrong on misconduct off the field of play, I’m not losing sleep over it, as I’m only willing to spend so much time trying to remember diffferences on something I’m not likely to ever see in real life.)

Back