A&H

Youth Football - Managing Games

xPositor

RefChat Addict
Level 7 Referee
Some interesting points were being raised in a different thread, that got closed off for obvious reasons.

There were two distinct discussions: one, regarding letting a game "flow", and two - stopping for injuries.

On letting a game flow, the younger the participants, the more you should be letting the game flow. Are you really going to blow the whistle for every minor infraction at an U12 Div 5 game? Of course not, so let the little niggles go (if you believe them to be accidental), and focus on the bigger issues. I was going to joke that you will always know if you have the balance wrong because the managers/parents will let you know - in the past I have nipped that in the bud by explaining to the managers pre-kick off that I like to let the game flow, but if they would like me to tighten it up, they can let me know by speaking politely with me during a substitution or similar - always worked for me.

On injuries, again the management of it will change dependent upon the age, but also based upon your own experience. I'm the father of a teenage son, who got me in to football (coaching, then refereeing) - I have a pretty good spidey sense as to the severity of an injury. What works for me, is to make it clearly visible to everybody that you have seen the player go down - if its a foul then you're blowing for it or signalling an advantage, if its not a foul point at the player that has gone down and shout no foul. Whilst keeping an eye on play, go and ask the player if they're OK. Until the ball goes out of play, keep looking back at the player to check on them. When they realise play isn't stopping you would be surprised at how they miraculously recover - you would almost think they played for a Premier League team with such an astonishing recovery time. You would be horrified at the age kids get taught to "go down and stay down" if they are fouled. If you do feel the need to get the coach on at the appropriate time - immediately, when the ball goes out of play, or at some point in between, remember that the player will need to leave the FOP - even at youth football (U11 and up).

I'll leave the topic of mummy running on to the pitch because their darling little Johnny has been hurt for another day.

The Referee Store
Thanks for the post; some useful advice. Incidentally, at this age group, how strict are you in ensuring that a player leaves the field for treatment or goes off after receiving it before being ushered back on? I think it is a bit callous to enforce this when a young player is in genuine discomfort. Usually managers are sensible enough to make a substitution in these situations anyway, but there will always be an argument that you're not applying the law properly/slowing the match down.

Last edited:
@SLI39 Since I got pulled up on it on an assessment, I always make sure it happens. Get's the younger players in to good habits, stops the older players taking the proverbial (and it does happen!).

I'm going to talk as a coach here (after all, it's what pays the bills!)

I had a major argument with a group of referees here in USA when they said, truly believing it, that they played no part at all in player development (the meeting was specifically about small-sided soccer, so we are talking 12 and below). Bearing in mind that in this country, heading below 11v11 is banned and every game is covered by an official (11v11 are all covered by 3 officials!).
As referees, especially of the youngest age groups, you are not just there to enforce the laws of the game. You are there to teach & encourage. Coaches shouldn't (but do!) be screaming and barking at the little ones, allowing them to make decisions and learn from mistakes. But if an 8 year old takes a foul throw, what use is it if the referee just awards it to the other team? Explain to the kid what he/she has done wrong and turn it around. Next time they get a throw, they'll have learnt. Coaches teach the technical side followed by the tactical side. Only once those have been nailed will they start to teach the game from a law POV (offside, throws, what fouls are etc), but as the games are being officiated, the officials need to explain their decisions (most people on here know my thoughts about explaining all the way through as it happens, but that's for another time) and therefore allow the kids to learn & develop. ANY official who says they don't play a part in the development (and to an extent retention & enjoyment) of young players, shouldn't be officiating youth games!

Back