A&H

You'll never believe this...

SurreySuperRef

I have a family member who runs a Sunday League youth team. I don't do his games for obvious reasons, but I was told today the referee made a glaring error.

Apparently, the referee blew up for a penalty against my family member's team, which isn't then issue in itself. His player turns round and asks the referee what it was for in an aggressive manner. Again, if the referee issued a caution here, there would have been no dispute from the manager.

So what does the referee do? He yells advantage after having clearly pointed to the spot and blown his whistle. The attack plays on and pokes the ball past a confused keeper.

When the referee was asked for clarification, he allegedly told the manager to "deal with it," then walked off.

What are your thoughts on this? The manager wouldn't have complained about the penalty and caution for dissent, even though he disagreed with the initial decision, because it's one of those things that can go either way. I don't understand how a referee could blow for a penalty then yell advantage, and then say "deal with it."

We all know refereeing is a thankless job, and I don't want to sound like I'm criticising my colleagues, because last time he officiated for this team, he had a pretty good game, and cautioned our player for dissent, which was 100% spot on. I guess it was just a bad day at the office?

The Referee Store
If verified by a number of people I'm sorry to say but the referee should be disciplined by the league. It is not just a judgement error, it sounds worse - making up a new law to retaliate to dissent. Now it is possible in reality he maybe pointed, or said penatlty, or made a move to whistle but didn't, and the player turned to shout at him...if that all happened without a whistle it's a different story.

Whistle is a stoppage in all circumstances. His choice after blowing is penalty or drop ball. Curious if others think he has another choice, but I'm sure advantage is not one.

I thought I had seen it all during a game years ago when I played, before I took up refereeing. I remember the referee on that day cautioning a player for dissent whilst the ball was in play.

However, that story above takes it to a new level.

Anyone care to translate the OP for me? I'm a 50 year old bloke who is fairly conversant in English no matter how its written, or at least i thought i was?? :confused:

This makes keith Stroud look like a saint, Newcastle penalty IFK. 'Get on with it' lol. Best I've heard in a while

Last edited:
Back