A&H

You are the ref!

WalterPinkman

Red 8 is running with the ball. Blue 6 (who is a substitute on the bench) throws a water bottle and hits the ball causing it to go off the FOP. Blue 6 did not SPA or DOGSO.

How do you restart and what (if any) disciplinary action do you take?

The Referee Store
DFK. No sanction.

However USB is open ended so if a referee cautions, they wont be wrong in law.

This is the issue where it is written in law. Please correct me if I’m wrong but the only thing I can find in relation to disciplinary action is under USB “commits any other offence which interferes with or stops a promising attack, except where the referee awards a penalty kick for an offence which was an attempt to play the ball”.

But, in the example above, blue 6 has not SPA. I suppose you could do it under lack of respect for the game.

Reactions: es1
I’ve just found an extra bit I wasn’t aware of:
“Offences where an object (or the ball) is thrown
In all cases, the referee takes the appropriate disciplinary action:
Reckless- caution the offender for unsporting behaviour
Using excessive force- send off the offender for violent conduct”

So by applying this to the example above, I personally would give a caution, as I do think you risk losing all match control by letting it go.

Reactions: es1
I’ve just found an extra bit I wasn’t aware of:
“Offences where an object (or the ball) is thrown
In all cases, the referee takes the appropriate disciplinary action:
Reckless- caution the offender for unsporting behaviour
Using excessive force- send off the offender for violent conduct”

So by applying this to the example above, I personally would give a caution, as I do think you risk losing all match control by letting it go.
What if it was not reckless or used excessive force?

If you look in the USB list, on top of it, it says "There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour, including if a player:"

This basically means some things don't have to be in the lotg for you to caution them as USB.

It's a DFK for sure, from where the object struck the ball.
For me this is a Caution for Unsporting Behaviour. It is what football expects imo.

A pertinent point, but one I’d counter that the act of throwing an object is itself reckless.

The ball may be the target, but the risk of hitting another player and subsequent risks, plus it being an intentional act, take it over the reckless threshold for me. It’s an act without regard to the consequences.

If you look in the USB list, on top of it, it says "There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour, including if a player:"

This basically means some things don't have to be in the lotg for you to caution them as USB.
Good point, I’d not read it like that.

I would argue that a player should know the risks, as per the example, of throwing a water bottle onto the FOP and therefore it would always be reckless at a minimum

A pertinent point, but one I’d counter that the act of throwing an object is itself reckless.

The ball may be the target, but the risk of hitting another player and subsequent risks, plus it being an intentional act, take it over the reckless threshold for me. It’s an act without regard to the consequences.
Not sure about that.

The OP didn't say the guy did it deliberately did he? He could have been throwing it to a team-mate or coach and just done it "carelessly" so as for it to end up hitting the ball. Nothing reckless about that ...

Nine times out of 10, this is going to be a caution. We can come up with those accidental "what ifs," but a bottle thrown that hits a ball controlled by an opponent starts with a strong presumption of a caution--and is more likely to ramp up to a send off than to go down to nothing.

Has to be a DFK and a Caution, surely? Imagine a player not getting booked for doing this, it would rightly cause an uproar.

Throwing an item onto the FOP should always be considered at least reckless and if thrown with enough force, violent conduct.
You can't justify the act as being "careless" and not worth a card.

There are numerous examples of similar questions where an on-field player throwing something can result in a DFK for handball. Therefore, I think we are entitled to assume that a thrown object is an extension of the hand, therefore by throwing something onto the pitch a player has effectively entered the FOP without permission. Boom, there's your caution!

There are numerous examples of similar questions where an on-field player throwing something can result in a DFK for handball. Therefore, I think we are entitled to assume that a thrown object is an extension of the hand, therefore by throwing something onto the pitch a player has effectively entered the FOP without permission. Boom, there's your caution!
Not anymore. It's now got a separate listing as a direct free kick offence that separate from handball.

"• throws an object at the ball, an opponent or a match official, or makes contact with the ball with a held object"

I was thinking exactly the same but couldn't word it right

Back