A&H

Yet another weekend down the drain... with the rain

mikedn

Referee/Mentor
All football postponed this weekend , apart from private pitches and 3G, my Sunday match has been rescheduled to another pitch subject to an 8 a.m. inspection by groundsman (school pitch) but even then i have to do a pitch inspection..... so nothing definate..... yet :-(

UPDATE....Game postponed..................

Last edited:
The Referee Store
I have reverse problem. Don't have a match this weekend, so waiting for one of the many (usually) requests that get sent for last minute replacements - this week - nothing!

Not so bad in Surrey. I have two matches and lots of last minute request emails coming in

Sat here waiting for the call. The pitch is known to be boggy at the best of times. The ref will hopefully get a call in the next hour, then I can be released to take in a local national league south game. See how the L2s strut their stuff.

I have reverse problem. Don't have a match this weekend, so waiting for one of the many (usually) requests that get sent for last minute replacements - this week - nothing!
Feel free to pop over to Watford and watch a County Cup semi today ... sure you could give me some interesting feedback :) And if one of the three of us goes lame then you could step in ;)

One game done and two tomorrow. About 18 youth fixtures needed covering this weekend. More than usual so maybe some refs round here are on strike. Not had any texts yet this weekend but I am sure I will get one soon!

Had a fun one this morning.

Had lots of rain overnight, and it was still raining this morning so I wasn't too confident. Got to the ground at 9.30am and got a text from the home team captain, saying the groundsman had recommended that we don't play on the pitch but final decision was mine. I wandered up and walked the pitch, and it was absolutely fine. So I called the home team and confirmed I was happy to play the game. I then went to find the groundsman to let him know we were playing. He was very surprised to learn he'd advised the game shouldn't be played, as he hadn't made any such call. He bristled quite alot at the idea the pitch wasn't playable, as he clearly looks after them! The home team then got 'stuck in traffic' and arrived 10 minutes before KO.

I strongly suspect they'd basically decided they didn't fancy it, for whatever reason, and were trying to get me to call it off. Going to take more than that to get me to call it off, especially as it would have meant losing one of my twenty promotion games I need to get in before September 30th!

i was pleasantly surprised to arrive at my game yesterday, in the rain , to find the pitch very much playable .
Next pitch along was called off. On chatting to the groundsman, it turns out they've only had 3 games all season on the pitch i used, due to the fact it has had cracks in it big enough to turn an ankle in , as its been so dry ! The rain was very welcome from his point of view.

Back