A&H

Yellow or red

The Referee Store
These days I think most EPL referees would go red for that. He's some distance from the ball and just looks like an attempt to take the player out.

Thought red on first view (looked like he was miles from the ball and just lunging to take him out). The angle at 39 seconds confirmed.

I think VAR would have been in his ear in 2020, if MD looked again I'm sure he would probably change his mind....

Same here. I had to slow down the slow mo even further to be sure of the red though. First contact with straight leg half way up the shin from the side and then slides down.

And I will make a third on that. Initially looks like a simple tactical foul to buy time for the defence to get into position.

I've always believed that VAR should watch replays at full speed because slow motion can make things look worse but this video is making me change my mind because I simply can't detect the red card without the slow mo.

I've always believed that VAR should watch replays at full speed because slow motion can make things look worse but this video is making me change my mind because I simply can't detect the red card without the slow mo.
IFAB protocol had always said you generally use slow-mo for point of contact only. So in this case you do watch it in full speed first. It looks like it has all the elements of a red like speed, lunge and from side/behind, expect for the contact which looks like on front of Rolando's foot. Then you look at slow mo showing the point of contact. Also, the quality of the video is not helping much when looking at full speed.

Whilst not interested in the slow motion, it is a yellow card foul tackle 'gone wrong'. Acting with disregard to opponent safety runs the risk of challenging with excessive force whether intended or not
No VAR.... orange
VAR.... red

Was a red then and is a red today.
Joe Cole can always tell his grandkids how he tried to break the ankle of one of the top two players of all time and couldn't even get that right!

Red.
its a lunge, it has no regard for opponents safety, its excessive and you can throw in the speed.
Do not give tackles like this the benefit of any doubt, its a cynical, its a scything down
Not that we give due consideration to the identity of the victim but we have the serious foul play law to protect players from this type to tackle.
I can half understand the notion that Cole intended to simply trip Ronaldo and got it all wrong, tough luck on Cole, his actions, he should face the consequences
Note also the position of the park, volatile, right in front of the coaches, at grass roots you are facing a rammy here, and, you are also facing retribution from the hacked players team mates if you do not deal with it correctly yourself.
If you see this kinda tackle and the voice inside your head goes, oft, then, you are nearly at the red card destination, do not talk yourself out of it,

We all see red here these days I’m sure but it’s strange that one of the best referees in the last 20 years only went yellow!! Maybe we are all wrong??

We all see red here these days I’m sure but it’s strange that one of the best referees in the last 20 years only went yellow!! Maybe we are all wrong??

Nope the referee on the day making the wrong call does not mean its not a red card
Its a red card. Mr Dean got that one horrendously wrong, and am sure if he had a chance to do it again, he would go red

It's not the first time a good referee got a call wrong and it won't be the last. Being a good referee makes a decision more credible but it doesn't guarantee its correctness.

It was over 12 years ago, and the threshold for what constitutes a red card has definitely changed since then. But I agree with others he has just missed it, understandable in real time with only one view.

Back