A&H

Wrongful Dismissal

Padfoot

The Persecuted One
Apparently the player i dismissed recently is submitting a claim for wrongful dismissal. Never had that before!

There is now no mandatory requirement for video evidence to support the claim (not sure that was a good idea whoever decided to remove it) but will be judged on any evidence submitted.

According to the Discipline Manager, the player is claiming he was trying to take a quick free kick rather than deliberately leathering the ball at his opponent....yeah right.
I was contacted to see if, having thought about it, i might have made a mistake.

This proved to be a really difficult question to answer.......we are all human (yes, even me) and we are all susceptibile to making mistakes. So the question "could you have got it wrong" is not a straightforward one to answer.

Could i have got it wrong? Of course i could, just like any other decision i made in that match. The potential to get a decision wrong is ever present.

Did i get it wrong? No, i don't believe that i did. Given the exact same set of circumstances i would make the exact same decision.
Can't really explain it...it was one of those occasions where it just screamed "red card"....from body language, the look on the players face, the general bad temper in the game.......not one thing in isolation, but a whole gamut of things combining to leave me in no doubt as to what i saw.

Anyone else had anything similar?

The Referee Store
I had one team appeal a VC red card because I put in the the report "reducing the team to ten men" when in fact it was the team's SECOND red!!
They tried to argue I was incompetent because I couldn't count (Didn't have my A grade Maths A level with me at the time).
The chair asked me if I meant 9, I said yes, Case proved.

I have since learnt to keep unneeded words out of reports.
Not had a hearing since 2009 I reckon (more to do with the appeals process being tightened than my top reports)

Reactions: SM
Wrongful dismissal is not an appeal as such.....they are claiming that I made an obvious error in dismissing the player.

I won't have to attend a hearing it will be decided purely on submissions.

Stick to your guns, like you said when you know its a red, its a red and more often than not your right. I think its a bit of insult to be asked if you may of made a mistake tbh.

What a complete waste of time.

I'm not sure how a matter of pure interpretation can be seen as an obvious error in law, particularly given the fact that whoever is making the decision hasn't seen the incident. How can somebody who wasn't present make a decision?

Support your referees.

Well, the bit i didn't add was that the other team has supposedly given them their support and agreed that it shouldn't have been a red card!

And according to our discipline manager that support will "carry some weight".....so i am fully expecting the card to be overturned. Never mind that I am as sure now as i was at the time that it was a deliberate strike against the opponent with the ball, I am sure that a group of people who were never there, will take the opinions of the dismissed player and some other players over my experienced opinion of what happened.

And people wonder why I am so cynical of CFA's and how they manage their refereeing workforce?

The bit no-ones picked up on here is Padders admitting that he is human!!! I just can't believe it!

I don't get the CFA discipline procedures either to be fair... My only two red cards this season, both players received a two game ban for each. Fair enough for one of them, but the other that verbally abused me... I was surprised that it wasn't for longer! But, then that isn't my department nor my business, I just thought that if it was me abusing a referee, I'd have expected a longer ban

Last edited:
Wrongful dismissal is not an appeal as such.....they are claiming that I made an obvious error in dismissing the player.

I won't have to attend a hearing it will be decided purely on submissions.
That's good. I've had some ludicrous appeals against mine, but it's good that not everything expects people to waste their valuable time.

didn't you mention this red card in another thread? Sounds like the right decision anyway, and probably one not everybody would get right.
Usually it's just been trying it on. I had one game with 3 red cards against one team, all were appealed. One was for OFFINABUS, forget what the appeal was about that. Another was for a ball in the face (similar to the HAL clip in my 'As Seen on TV' post), argued it wasn't violent and it was inconsistent because at another point a player gave an opponent a tiny push on the back of the head and received a second yellow card not a straight red. Another was for a SFP/DOGSO combined - player studs up on the knee, opponent went flying. Frustrating thing is, that opponent submitted a response supporting the player sent off saying he was never touched! Must have been a freaking poltergeist then....

My utter contempt for the local judiciary was cemented after one case - sent off a player for spitting at an opponent, he appealed saying he didn't. Judiciary wanted to waste everybody's time hearing it, fed up with having so much time wasted that season from players just 'giving it a shot' I responded with highlighting out that there is no basis for appealing the red card itself on a subjective decision like that. Their response? Disappointment that I didn't feel the need to defend MY actions. So glad I don't referee in that area any more.....(this was the area that upheld an appeal against a player who shoulder bumped me because I couldn't prove that it happened. So the RA boycotted his team for the rest of the season, including finals...lol).

Last edited:
Back