A&H

Wrong colour tape on socks & wrong colour undershirt

Viking

Red tape on blue socks. White undershirt (a turtleneck one) under blue short sleeved shirt. Is anyone making these players take the tape off and removing the undershirt? I've changed my mind after seeing an academy game.

The Referee Store
Is anyone making these players take the tape off and removing the undershirt?

Yes. I would.

Even at a Academy game. Might not get observed there, but there's always some official representative popping round when you least expect it, but also it's a good place to practice with the A/Rs on the kit checks etc.

Then again, I've enforced this on my local Saturday league, all the way down to the reserves cos I'm dull like that! :p

Is anyone making these players take the tape off and removing the undershirt?

For me it’s all about what level/age you’re doing. I know laws are laws but sometimes it’s best to use common sense. e.g If its an OA/vets game I’m going to be more strict with it as they should know better.

If it’s U15s or something you can be a bit more lax with it as most play for multiple teams and you can’t expect them to have the correct tape/undershirt for every team. If it’s a cold day I’m not going to tell a kid to take off his base layer unless it clashes with the opposition.

If it’s an academy game I’d say be strict as it’s a higher standard. They wanna be pro, they’ve got to learn to dress like the pros do.

So white undersocks to halfway up the calf and taped up wedding rings then?
You've reminded me of the 2 x white undersocks also present. The thing that disillusioned me was that all 3 officials were senior, 2 were EPL, 2 were instructors. It's a stonewall do as I say and not do as I do. I feel they should lead by example. I don't think I can be bothered anymore.

I suspect not an official one. Many people on the sidelines observing though. And I think was a development game, bearing in mind who I now realise the coach was.
It was a tongue in cheek comment.

Common sense is order of the day.

Did an Isthmian U23 a few years back and referee WAS being observed. Foul night, but on astro so game went ahead despite 90'of rain.

Home team yellow shirts, most wearing undershirts because of the weather, but of course, none of them yellow.

Observer did say he wasn't going to make a big thing of it but would have to mention in his report. Problem he had was that the undershirts were a mix of white, blue and black - he said if all white he probably wouldn't have had to mention - seemed a sensible approach to me.

Common sense & context. This is part of game management, which applies at every level from humblest to elite. It's just the right answer is not always the same

Jewellery & Snoods - good safety reason they are not allowed, so not in any circumstances

Sock tape - a technicality with no practical consequence. BUT :
Let it go in a Supply or Contib game = official is lazy / can't be bothered - storing up a potential match control issue before you start
Be pedantic about it in a div 10 Sunday pub league game = official is a busy t**t - see match control issue above

Wrong colour undershirt in say an U15 game
Cup final on a pleasant April evening - come on lads, let's do this properly. Needs to come off
League game on a freezing February day - undershirt is the wrong colour. Word with coach - I'll let it go because it's cold, but for another time they really need to be the same colour as the shirt, or at least an approximation to it

etc.

Last edited:
Common sense is order of the day.

Did an Isthmian U23 a few years back and referee WAS being observed. Foul night, but on astro so game went ahead despite 90'of rain.

Home team yellow shirts, most wearing undershirts because of the weather, but of course, none of them yellow.

Observer did say he wasn't going to make a big thing of it but would have to mention in his report. Problem he had was that the undershirts were a mix of white, blue and black - he said if all white he probably wouldn't have had to mention - seemed a sensible approach to me.

At that level it shouldn't be happening, these are semi-pro clubs that provide all of the kit, usually including the undergarments. That's a lot different to grass roots where players wear their own under gear and often look after and bring their team shirt, shorts and socks as well.

Don't think I would have been as understanding as that observer to be honest.

I played several reserve games for my local Sunday League team just before I finished and the kit was a mixture of 3 or 4 different kits from years gone by to present day. All maroon in colour but different manufacturer, different sponsor, obvious difference in the maroon shade itself but we were distinguishable as a team. Socks and shorts of various colours. Often borrowed from the lost property bin at the school who's changing room and pitch we hired. Anyone pulling us up on different colour sock tape and under armour would just be laughed at. Half the team haven't gone to bed from the night before yet and haven't turned up with boots never mind the correct socks and shorts. Manager picked them up from the pub occasuonally (happened to me several times that). Phone calls from players who had met a girl and needed to be picked up from an unknown address. City league teams are often a bit of a shambles. Warm up is a fag. Being thorough on tape and under armour just puts you on the back foot. Just not important if the rest of the kit is dodgy. Think it's less prevelant now as kits are cheaper to buy in bulk. I helped run a mates kids team for a while and the kits were hand me downs but some 13 year old are tiny and some are huge so the kits have been handed down from different age groups and are therefore different. Just let them play.

Just make sure we have no jewellery on and crack on. Semi Pro stuff theres no excuse so don't excuse them.

Back