A&H

World Cup referee list

I think refereeing is no different to the wider working world.
Almost all bosses have their favourites. Most of the time they're favourites cos they're the best.
Sometimes the guy is just the bosses drinking buddy!!

The Referee Store
The politics of this is FIFA trying to get media/social credit for inviting six women to the World Cup. You have 36 refs and 69 ARs. You can go through the list and make 33 pretty clear trios. And then you are left with the three female refs and the three female ARs.

I think FIFA made a political decision to not release the list in trios like previous World Cups because they didn't want it to be so obvious that the female refs are there as a support role (4th official, backup assistant, AVAR). Now maybe Frappart will get a game and it would be a wonderful story if she did, but I'm doubtful it happens.

The politics of this is FIFA trying to get media/social credit for inviting six women to the World Cup. You have 36 refs and 69 ARs. You can go through the list and make 33 pretty clear trios. And then you are left with the three female refs and the three female ARs.

I think FIFA made a political decision to not release the list in trios like previous World Cups because they didn't want it to be so obvious that the female refs are there as a support role (4th official, backup assistant, AVAR). Now maybe Frappart will get a game and it would be a wonderful story if she did, but I'm doubtful it happens.
I get Frappart has worked a UEFA cup event (I’ll let others debate the merits of the Super Cup) and regularly works in Ligue 1. But if there is one female official who can truly say she is there on merit, it’s Katy Nesbitt. She’s worked a MLS Cup final and a number of CONCACAF men’s World Cup qualifiers, CONCACAF Champions League, and Gold Cup (our Euros) events. She has consistently worked at the highest level of her domestic and confederation levels.

All due respect to Frappart and the other female referees in this list, but the litmus test for me is Nesbitt. If she doesn’t work a match on the field, then it looks like a PR stunt more than anything of substance.

Last edited:
I get Frappart has worked a UEFA cup event (I’ll let others debate the merits of the Suoer Cup) and regularly works in Ligue 1. But if there is one female official who can truly say she is there on merit, it’s Katy Nesbitt. She’s worked a MLS Cup final and a number of CONCACAF men’s World Cup qualifiers, CONCACAF Champions League, and Gold Cup (our Euros) events. She has consistently worked at the highest level of her domestic and confederation levels.

All due respect to Frappart and the other female referees in this list, but the litmus test for me is Nesbitt. If she doesn’t work a match on the field, then it looks like a PR stunt more than anything of substance.

Who would she work with? Elfath has his two usual ARs with him.

Who would she work with? Elfath has his two usual ARs with him.
She could work with one of the CONCACAF referees like Martinez or Barton, as she's worked with Barton before if I recall things correctly. FIFA's listing of individual referees instead of clearly listing trios leaves that door open.

I'm firmly of the opinion that FIFA has the six female referees as a publicity exercise, so I don't expect any of them to work in an on-field capacity. I do hope I'm wrong.

I assume had Marrufo been selected that Nesbitt and Frank Anderson would have been his on field pair. I'm with you that I don't expect to see her on the field unless the idea from our other spot that we get an all female crew for a dead rubber group game.

Hopefully Janny Sikazwe packs plenty of suncream and keeps hydrated to ensure there's no repeat of his African Nations Cup brainfart!

Frappart has only had two full seasons on Ligue 1, and didn't officiate on the men's UCL until December 2020.

I'm surprised she's had the time to work the way through the various FIFA stages especially since the long list is started more than a year before the WC.

Back