A&H

Womens world cup

The Referee Store
The HD clip is here at 1:22. It looks like a pen at normal speed but at slow mo it looks as though Canada player runs into the china player's arm.

Below at 1:35 was a lot more of a penalty than the one for Canada.

Last edited:
The HD clip is here at 1:22. It looks like a pen at normal speed but at slow mo it looks as though Canada player runs into the china player's arm.

Lol, sure. In the same way as a blue player could argue he didn't punch a red player - the red player just headbutted his fist!!

A foul needs be careless at minimum. There's no reason to have your arms waving up around head height like that, especially in the PA. If the defender waving her elbows around means nobody can get close, then she's committing the foul - it's not the fault of the player who's legitimately trying to challenge the ball. Clear penalty.

The second clip is a clear penalty too. I can accept that the ref may have thought it was a dive given the player jumped, so why didn't she have the courage to book her?

Thanks for the clips though - BBC content is blocked down under, so it helps a lot!

let's be honest, if someone catches an opponent in the face with a flailing arm anywhere else on the pitch it's a free kick, no different in the PA.... Penalty!

What about the one from the Switzerland vs Japan game? The referee got her hand to the ball before clashing into the attacker. What's your take on that?
(right at the beginning of the highlights)

What about the one from the Switzerland vs Japan game? The referee got her hand to the ball before clashing into the attacker. What's your take on that?
(right at the beginning of the highlights)
Great save by the keeper.

Correct decision. This is a typical "but i got the ball ref" moment for me. Yes but you also got the player.

Haha, the sports getting too soft nowadays, good old fashioned defending and a great save from the keeper :)

At first glance I thought 'no penalty', because I thought the keeper was only going for the ball, and it was just an unfortunate collision - the sort that can happen in these sorts of plays. Looking at the 'behind the keeper' shot though, and the keeper does jump at the player. I'm sure she's only going for the ball, but you don't get to jump into the player to get the ball. So clear foul. YC is correct - the only reason it's not DOGSO is because the touch over the keeper was so heavy, there's a fair chance the other defender would have got there first.

Back