A&H

Women’s Football

SWRef

Hope this is in the correct sub-forum, apologies if not.

I’ve got my first OA women’s game coming up. May be a silly question but is there anything I should be aware of? Are there any subtle differences between men’s OA games? More/less dissent?

Cheers

The Referee Store
My first women's game, the ref told me he didn't expect to dish out any cards.

I recall there were at least 2 (yellow), and 1 was quite early on. And a couple of early crunching tackles.

Other than that, it was just a normal game. You'll be fine.

As a massive generalisation, women tend to complain less vociferously about foul play then their male counterparts. As such, don't be lulled into thinking a tackle is ok just because player reaction is less marked.

Other than that, depending on the level, can be a little less fast paced and generally more relaxed / enjoyable!

Its slower - end of. No point pretending it isn't - in fact its harming the womens game to try and make out otherwise.

One of the few things I have ever heard the manager of the Chelsea womens team say that I agree with.

She talks a lot of common sense about the women's game in general - less so about her team, claiming they played poorly last week - they won 6-0:p

The rare few girls/womens games I've done have been on the lower scale of dissent. No less competitive though.

I did my first women's middle on Sunday. The football itself is much slower, so I had to adjust for that. It was competitive but there was also alot more fun being had during the game than in men's football. It was one sided as one team had 10 players and were playing a team a league above. They stuck at it and both teams got the ball down and tried to play. There's alot more positivity between the players and less grief if they make mistakes. It felt easy compared to OA mens football, but it's one game so not much of a sample size!

Back