A&H

Windy

MarkB

Level 7 Referee
Had an U19's cup game at the weekend, only done U16's up till this point so was quite a big game for me. The game was on a 3G pitch and weather was fine to begin with.

About five minutes before half time, wind is starting to pick up and the ball is starting to move due to gusts of wind so had to have a couple of free kicks retaken due to this.

Get to half time, blues are 2-0 up against whites. Had a chat with the managers at half time and explained that it wasn't really a problem right now but if the weather kept deteriorating then the game would likely have to be abandoned. Even though the whites were losing 2-0 both managers really wanted to get the game played and were adamant it would be fine and we should continue.

So 2nd half begins and wind really starts picking up, ball wouldn't have been staying still at dead ball situations however both teams were just getting on with it quickly so never really became a problem. A couple of times a defender came and held the ball still with his foot for the goalkeeper to take a goal kick in the last ten minutes as it was really getting quite bad at that point. Near the end a free kick in the middle of the park to blues needed a player to put a foot on the ball and when the blue player kicked it, it ended up going back over his own head despite a fair crack of the ball.

So game ended 2-1 to blues, both managers happy at full time, said I'd had a good game, 3 obvious cautions.

However back in the changing rooms I just wasn't happy with myself at all. Felt like I knew it should have been abandoned but kind of rolled with it due to the fact that both managers were happy. In the last minute the white team had hit the crossbar to take it to penalty kicks and that would have been a disaster. Genuinely don't think we would have been able to have the penalty shoot-out due to the weather.

So, when should you call a game off due to the wind?

The Referee Store
Had an U19's cup game at the weekend, only done U16's up till this point so was quite a big game for me. The game was on a 3G pitch and weather was fine to begin with.

About five minutes before half time, wind is starting to pick up and the ball is starting to move due to gusts of wind so had to have a couple of free kicks retaken due to this.

Get to half time, blues are 2-0 up against whites. Had a chat with the managers at half time and explained that it wasn't really a problem right now but if the weather kept deteriorating then the game would likely have to be abandoned. Even though the whites were losing 2-0 both managers really wanted to get the game played and were adamant it would be fine and we should continue.

So 2nd half begins and wind really starts picking up, ball wouldn't have been staying still at dead ball situations however both teams were just getting on with it quickly so never really became a problem. A couple of times a defender came and held the ball still with his foot for the goalkeeper to take a goal kick in the last ten minutes as it was really getting quite bad at that point. Near the end a free kick in the middle of the park to blues needed a player to put a foot on the ball and when the blue player kicked it, it ended up going back over his own head despite a fair crack of the ball.

So game ended 2-1 to blues, both managers happy at full time, said I'd had a good game, 3 obvious cautions.

However back in the changing rooms I just wasn't happy with myself at all. Felt like I knew it should have been abandoned but kind of rolled with it due to the fact that both managers were happy. In the last minute the white team had hit the crossbar to take it to penalty kicks and that would have been a disaster. Genuinely don't think we would have been able to have the penalty shoot-out due to the weather.

So, when should you call a game off due to the wind?

Personally? Only if it becomes a serious safety concern.

If it's not and it makes the game a little challenging, tough luck and get on with it.

Safety wise I'm talking objects flying around that may hit somebody.

To quote the age old phrase 'it's the same for both teams'.

I'd add the farce element to it. Wind so strong every ball played in one direction blows straight back in the opposite direction, irrespective of whether it is on the floor or in the air is one example. It ceases to be a game then and just becomes ridiculous.

Thanks @RegalRef and @Tealeaf. Pretty much the same as the more experienced refs were telling me at training the other night.

Still a bit confused as to what you would do with regards to penalty kicks?

Also if someone pretty much refuses to take a free kick / penalty kick cause the ball keeps rolling, what action would you take? Obviously on grass this shouldn't be too much of a problem but on a 3G pitch where the ball can't be made to stay still.

Near the end a free kick in the middle of the park to blues needed a player to put a foot on the ball and when the blue player kicked it, it ended up going back over his own head despite a fair crack of the ball.

This is probably a good indication that it's time to call a halt.

Thanks @RegalRef and @Tealeaf. Pretty much the same as the more experienced refs were telling me at training the other night.

Still a bit confused as to what you would do with regards to penalty kicks?

Also if someone pretty much refuses to take a free kick / penalty kick cause the ball keeps rolling, what action would you take? Obviously on grass this shouldn't be too much of a problem but on a 3G pitch where the ball can't be made to stay still.
A good question.

Personally if a player 'refused' to take a freekick or penalty I don't think you'd have too much problem finding a player on the same team who wanted to. Failing that threaten to overturn the freekick or penalty kick into a drop ball restart and I'm sure they would find a way. Natrually you wouldn't actually do that but an off the cuff comment would make them think it so and get on with it.

I don't see a problem with one player holding it still while another took the kick if it came to it, as was described in the OP. Would have to be pretty exceptional to really warrant that over just perseverance for me though.

I believe the LOTG state that if the wind is so strong that the ball cannot remain stationary for free kicks or penalties etc then the game must be abandonded.

I've not had this situation before, if it was blowing a gale before kick off postponing would be fairly easy to sell (not that the teams feelings or opinions should be taken into account when deciding to play a game).

If the wind picks up during the game it could be wise to stop the game for a while to see if the wind dies down, and if it doesn't then abandon, though stopping a game once it's started would be a tough one to sell, especially if you've played over half of it.

Back