A&H

why no penalty?

The Referee Store
Presumably the referee has said the Keeper has won it fairly and the follow through/impact is not enough for a foul as the two are going for a contested ball as opposed to a direct challenge of a player in possession.

Presumably the referee has said the Keeper has won it fairly and the follow through/impact is not enough for a foul as the two are going for a contested ball as opposed to a direct challenge of a player in possession.
Agreed. Referee has the better angle here, too. He can see the ball whereas it is obscured to us.

Further, keeper is not lunging, merely keeping his ground so no recklessness for mine which might negate him playing the ball

WHY is this not a penalty
Because the referee said it is not.

These are subjective decisions. So the convention should be, if anyone thinks it is a penalty, against the referees decision, they should present a convincing argument for it. In other words a VAR has no business intervening here.

Refs 40 yards away, minimum, and, cant confirm it in the vid but its looking like he is unsighted,
The ref last time we see the ref in the shot, he is just reaching the end of the centre circle, the incident happens one sec later, he is minimum 35 yards, am guessing 40 yards, away, From where am guessing the ref is at the time, his view is blocked by the defender

so, he cant give the pen because either he cant see it, or, slightly more likely, he is not sure, its not credible, so has played safe.

From the clip only, assuming the GK has not played the ball, yes.

But that is a big assumption. It is more likely that, if I had the angle on the broadcast but somehow also had the whistle, I would not blow because I have such a poor position as to not be making a credible decision

As ref in the clip no, its not credible
I'm not asking in the context of this referee. I'm asking you to make a decision on the incident alone, regardless of the referee's actual decision.

I think it's a penalty as the keeper made hefty contact with the player.

I'm not asking in the context of this referee. I'm asking you to make a decision on the incident alone, regardless of the referee's actual decision.

i cant tell from the clip. Much like the actual referee its a guess, leaning to pk, everything about it says pk, inc the gk kiddy on ' i got the ball' point.

there is also grounds for fk to gk. I cant make it out from clip

thankfuly we get to guess sitting at our ipads, the match referee is the one needing to make the call.

Last edited:

What if I say I think it's a foul to keeper as the player made hefty contact with the keeper? What do you base your statement on. They are both going in a certain direction to play the ball? Neither changes direction to get in front of the other. The zoom or the quality is very poor but it looks like the both make contact with the ball at the same time with neither having control prior.

Genuinely interested to see why you choose one over the other.

Screenshot_20211130-014740__01.jpg

What if I say I think it's a foul to keeper as the player made hefty contact with the keeper? What do you base your statement on. They are both going in a certain direction to play the ball? Neither changes direction to get in front of the other. The zoom or the quality is very poor but it looks like the both make contact with the ball at the same time with neither having control prior.

Genuinely interested to see why you choose one over the other.

View attachment 5318
For me the keeper makes hefty contact with the attacker after the ball has gone. For me the keeper initiates the contact and when tackling should consider the opponent's safety.

Incidentally the manager complained officially and received a call from the person in charge of EFL reffing saying this was an error by the referee.

From that angle, on a single viewing, I had a foul on the keeper who carelessly plowed the attacker. But it's sure not the angle/distance I would want to have in a game I was calling, so I can't say what I would call in the real world.

Please look at this video: 11.32

WHY is this not a penalty?
Am with you Kent
The consideration for me; is that the GK's stooping action with full body weight momentum, was very clumsy (some may say careless) and posed a risk of injury to the forward (some may say reckless). Who won the ball isn't therefore a factor. The game expected a PK and i doubt 'the game' was wrong

The R's view is bullseye (the camera angle isn't great). We'd like to see it from a less oblique angle
The R's starting position was poor. He's facing the wrong way. I don't know how they train observers, but I'd steer away from adjudicating on subjective decisions like the Penalty shout. Instead, it's easier to conclude that the R didn't anticipate the play and his position left him guessing WRT the KMD. So I'd leave him alone on the PK shout, but dock him on Positioning/Movement/Awareness

For me the keeper makes hefty contact with the attacker after the ball has gone. For me the keeper initiates the contact and when tackling should consider the opponent's safety.
The good thing about youtube videos is that you can slow them down to 0.25 speed. This is a 1080p video so make sure you look at it at that res. The image I posted above is the first both touched the ball. A couple of frames back it looks like the attacker may have touched the ball first but because of cameras angle it is impossible to tell if there is still a gap between his foot and the ball. The movement of the attackers's foot is trying to take the ball away from the keeper. At my frame there is still no contact between keeper and attacker. The ball goes straight down to the ground from there (this is key). That to me is proof that the keeper played the ball, at the same time or at least immediately after played by attacker but definitely before any contact. The ball then hits the keeper's knee and propels to the side. At that time their feet collide which makes the attacker fall forward and the keeper roll sideways.

Incidentally the manager complained officially and received a call from the person in charge of EFL reffing saying this was an error by the referee.I
Is there written proof of this or just what the manager said? In either case I won't be surprised. It won't be the first time a person in charge of a league throws a referee under the bus and it won't be the last.

Good to hear that winning the ball first is the only consideration. I was worried that notion was a bit outdated

Good to hear that winning the ball first is the only consideration. I was worried that notion was a bit outdated
Assuming this was aimed at me.

What if I say I think it's a foul to keeper as the player made hefty contact with the keeper?
Some people may call it careless. Some may say reckless.

is that the GK's stooping action with full body weight momentum, was very clumsy (some may say careless) and posed a risk of injury to the forward (some may say reckless).

Keeper diving/going for the ball is an accepted part of the game. Playing the ball is not all that matters but it does certainly matter.

We are talking opinions here. Six one way, half dozen the other

I don't think anyone can conclusively say yes or no, there simply isn't the right correct angles to confirm it.
I am leaning towards no penalty and sticking this under normal football contact.
Could be persuaded but not based on current evidence.

Back