A&H

Why do Sunday teams change leagues?

deusex

RefChat Addict
In Manchester we now have at least 3 DIFFERENT Sunday leagues each with 2 divisions.
It would be so much better IMO to have ONE Sunday league with six divisons. Teams would be in a league with teams much closer to their ability (No more 10-0 defeats hopefully).
But back to my original question, why do teams decide to switch leagues after 10 years with the same league? We all end up playing most of games on the same 3 multi-pitch sites anyway so that's not it.
Disciplinary issues? That would maybe explain 1 or 2 leaving but must be more to i than that.

The Referee Store
We had a team move over to "my" league last season, why? Because in their original league they'd been at the top for a few years and fancied a new challenge.

We also had a team who had been in the senior (top) division for a few years, they dropped out and re-joined the league in the bottom division. Why? There's a team in the senior division who haven't lost a game in about 5 years, the other team were fed up of getting beaten 10 nil and never getting higher than second so by coming into the bottom division as a "new" team they had the chance to win something.

Have you served on league committees? Genuine question, not an attack. Personality clashes occur all the time and with many leagues having very long serving members there can be serious falling outs which cause clubs to leave.

Club managements change as well and can lead to a league change. Perhaps they don't like people in the old league, or want to move closer to home.

Players change teams, sometimes wholesale. One league I served had a team from the extreme west of Northants. They left our league to join a Coventry league as most of their players came from that way so their travelling was reduced.

Have you served on league committees? Genuine question, not an attack. Personality clashes occur all the time and with many leagues having very long serving members there can be serious falling outs which cause clubs to leave.

Club managements change as well and can lead to a league change. Perhaps they don't like people in the old league, or want to move closer to home.

Players change teams, sometimes wholesale. One league I served had a team from the extreme west of Northants. They left our league to join a Coventry league as most of their players came from that way so their travelling was reduced.

Fair question. No I haven't. I've served on a club committee and that was tiring enough. Can't imagaine doing it for a club.
I have noticed the League committee has quite a few "older"members who have been doing it for 20 years. No one else to do the job I'd imagine

A lot of the time teams change leagues because they perceive the grass is greener, have fell out with league officials, fancy a new challenge, or often combined with a name change change because of their poor disciplinary record.
Sometimes you get teams change because the league refuses to do anything about teams with appalling disciplinary records because they prefer to keep coining in the league fines etc

A lot of the time teams change leagues because they perceive the grass is greener, have fell out with league officials, fancy a new challenge, or often combined with a name change change because of their poor disciplinary record.
Sometimes you get teams change because the league refuses to do anything about teams with appalling disciplinary records because they prefer to keep coining in the league fines etc
League fines have nothing to do with disciplinary matters but are more to do with administrative anomalies. Many of the well organised Sunday clubs have low league fines but high disciplinary fines because they are more competitive.

As far as Sunday Leagues doing nothing about poor discipline, the league in which I have worked for the last 10 years have cancelled and refused player registrations with increasing frequency to put players out of the league. This is in line with SCOR which allows leagues to take action against players who have accumulated suspensions totalling 10 games or more in 2 seasons.

3 sunday mens leagues in my area.One of our leagues has roll on roll off subs and the other 2 haven't, one is perceived as arguably being 'easier then the other' (roll on roll off one), one has more teams and is seen as hardet and the other has about 5 teams this season and is only still going I think because it's the oldest?! So teams tend to go between 2 of the leagues depending on how they get on in other if that makes sense.

Lots of possible reasons for clubs to change leagues - fees, fines, quality of play, geography, refereeing standards, and so on.

Happens all the time in London due to the huge number of Sunday morning leagues, also happens on Saturdays as well here.

Decent teams changing leagues can cause huge problems in certain leagues as they have to start in the bottom division. Be prepared for some serious tonkings by the best teams as they waste a couple of years rising through the leagues. Had one team a few years ago winning 10+ every week in the first season in Div 3, they were playing at 50% half of the time too!!

The league local to me has seen 7-8 teams move over to the league in the next biggest town (15-miles away) because it has more than 40-teams to it whereas the local league usually has been 10-12 teams and isn't always well managed from a fixtures perspective. There has also been some element of bias lodged against the committee towards one or two of the sides which has forced some teams to move.

Always seems to stay at 10-12 teams though as new ones always turn up.

down my way, we firstly have a very large county, and that accumulates very large towns - Southend Sunday for instance houses everything from Canvey Island, down to the cusp of Brentwood (where the Brentwood Sunday takes over) up to Hockley etc and far down as Thurrock (where the Thurrock Sunday takes over) - our Sunday Leagues usually have a Prem and then 3-4 divisions (sometimes 5) with each league having 10-14 teams in each

back to your question, we have had teams swap because referees are better in certain leagues (I have just joint the Essex Sunday Combination - full of lots of 5,4 and 1 or 2 3's that help on out on Sundays) we have also had teams where say, they are Southend Sunday - but most of the boys come from Brentwood/Romford - so they swap to the Brentwood Sunday, had it because the leagues are simply run better, better playing fields, amenities, cheaper registration, more cups, better opposition ...

in answer, there are WAY to many reasons for teams to swap ...

Back