A&H

Whistling...

Eddie

Level 7 Referee
This may very well be the most random question ever posted but I’m struggling to double-blow (a whistle- just thought I’d make that clear!).

I find I just end up with one continuous whistle with varying volume/tone as opposed to two distinctive whistles.

When I slow it down to ensure I get two separate whistles, it sounds garbage.

I heard a ref bang out about 6 in the space of 3 seconds the other day. Is there a technique I wasn’t privy to at referee camp? Use of the tongue?

I’m well aware this post is littered with double entendre’s, none of which are intentional! 😂

The Referee Store
What whistle are you using? There are some good YouTube videos teaching the tongue technique. That should help

It's definitely in the tongue. If you're not getting the "flicker" that you want, the only answer is to practise.
Start slow to get the mechanics right, spend a few minutes per day, and build your speed up gradually.

It’s a win win win technique improvement when you crack it. A great tongue action helps your whistling sound, your club marks and your promotion chances! 👍

Just blow the whistle twice (or three times for good effect) :confused:
Suggest entertaining your neighbours by practising at home

and back to the whistling advice
Wait until you hear the magic of using your fingers to cover the holes.

... If you want to modulate the tone upwards to a higher fundamental, covering one of the top-side holes on a Fox40 while blowing properly will do it, giving you almost a second type of whistle for "emergency" incidents.

Back