A&H

Which was first, Chicken or egg (LOTG version)

one

RefChat Addict
Team playing with seven players. A player is assessed for injury and has to leave the FOP. He can't enter the FOP before the game restarts. They game can't restart until he enters the FOP.

The Referee Store
I would say play on and wave him on, but if he refuses to come on or can't come on, then abandon the match at the next break of play?

I would say play on and wave him on, but if he refuses to come on or can't come on, then abandon the match at the next break of play?
Or just don't make the player get off the field. Or wait for him to be treated and get on before restarting. OP is not really about a common sense solution, its about the conflict n the lotg :) . you know... the chicken and egg thing.

Was once told "there's an exception to every rule".

You've found the one here for this bit of the Laws. :)

Either delay and treat on the field, or if they leave the FOP, allow them back on before the play has restarted in order to actually be able to restart.

Regardless of whether it's youth or open age football, I've always asked the player to leave the field as soon as a trainer or coach has entered the FOP to 'assess' the player. Notwithstanding the exceptions to being treated on the FOP, is this approach too draconian? I'm thinking, is allowing a trainer onto the pitch to assess a player equivalent to the player needing treatment?

At my level nobody ever left the pitch after treatment on the pitch unless they had to recover or be treated on the side or had to be subbed. TBF most didn’t have any decent first aid box so to call it treatment was stretching it! At the Dog & Duck level it’s a pretty pointless exercise as 22 men and his dog aren’t expecting this! Granted up the levels I’ve no problem with it’s implimentation but it never happened once the formal way except semis and finals of course!

Regardless of whether it's youth or open age football, I've always asked the player to leave the field as soon as a trainer or coach has entered the FOP to 'assess' the player. Notwithstanding the exceptions to being treated on the FOP, is this approach too draconian? I'm thinking, is allowing a trainer onto the pitch to assess a player equivalent to the player needing treatment?
A player should only be assessed on FOP. Any treatment should be off FOP. Apart from in cases where a yellow or red offence caused the injury in which case treatment maybe given on FOP providing it is completed quickly, otherwise they should leave.
It's not draconian and it's exactly this sort of thing that will lose you marks on an otherwise decent game if you dont do it properly if you decide to go down the promotion path

How do u determine the kicker for a pen.

Is it the player that places the ball on the spot?

Law 14 says...

The player taking the penalty kick must be clearly identified.

But I dont see how thay question is relevant to this thread :rolleyes:

A player should only be assessed on FOP. Any treatment should be off FOP. Apart from in cases where a yellow or red offence caused the injury in which case treatment maybe given on FOP providing it is completed quickly, otherwise they should leave.
It's not draconian and it's exactly this sort of thing that will lose you marks on an otherwise decent game if you dont do it properly if you decide to go down the promotion path
As you'll no doubt recall, at level 7 the trainer comes on, but often there's no treatment necessary. I'm guessing for promotion, even cold water over an ankle means the player has to go off. Common sense should prevail by the sounds of it (accounting for Sheff's answer too) and a brief assessment doesn't necessarily mean the player has to go off?

As you'll no doubt recall, at level 7 the trainer comes on, but often there's no treatment necessary. I'm guessing for promotion, even cold water over an ankle means the player has to go off. Common sense should prevail by the sounds of it (accounting for Sheff's answer too) and a brief assessment doesn't necessarily mean the player has to go off?
If the physio comes on to assess a player then he/she must leave the FOP..

You ask and make sure the keeper knows who it is........simples.....

And if they switch, blow and card......

I’ve never been asked by a ref are you taking the pen & ive never seen or heard a ref notify the keeper who the taker is.

& I’ve taken a fair few pens in 20yrs.

I’ve never been asked by a ref are you taking the pen & ive never seen or heard a ref notify the keeper who the taker is.

& I’ve taken a fair few pens in 20yrs.
I always ask. And always tell the keeper. That way he is clearly identified as per law 14.

Law 14 says...

The player taking the penalty kick must be clearly identified.

But I dont see how thay question is relevant to this thread :rolleyes:

Yeah I know I didn’t want to start a new thread & coudnt find an existing one so thought I’d ask the question.

How do you clearly identify the taker then?

I always ask. And always tell the keeper. That way he is clearly identified as per law 14.

Interesting that I’ve never come accross that myself.

I’ve never been asked if I’m taking it.

If the physio comes on to assess a player then he/she must leave the FOP..
OK. That's the approach i've always used merely to get into good habits. Mindful however of Sheff's comments and not wanting to be over zealous

Yeah I know I didn’t want to start a new thread & coudnt find an existing one so thought I’d ask the question.

How do you clearly identify the taker then?

Well you should have started a new topic, we, and from the reports we have had from several members, people are getting fed up of threads being taken off topic.

Too late for me to start deleting posts now as too many have gone, but lets keep this to the OP please. If you want to have a discussion about how to identify the penalty taker then it should be opened in a new thread.

Well you should have started a new topic, we, and from the reports we have had from several members, people are getting fed up of threads being taken off topic.

Too late for me to start deleting posts now as too many have gone, but lets keep this to the OP please. If you want to have a discussion about how to identify the penalty taker then it should be opened in a new thread.

No probs point taken noted for the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back