A&H

Which hand?

jack.prescott

Work hard, stay humble
Level 6 Referee
As I near the end of my first full season the chance of my getting a fixture as an AR rises.

I question bugging me thoughts which hand the flag needs to be in and when? I've seen different things on different sites from different people and would like the issue cleared up for me because I don't fancy looking like an idiot on the line.

Thanks in advance

The Referee Store
If running LB/RW (as majority do nowadays), your default hand is your left hand. The flag stays in this hand while crabbing (side-stepping) up & down the line. If sprinting with right side to pitch, flag moves to right hand to stay pitch-side.

When giving offside decisions, flag goes up in right hand and then near/middle/far as appropriate. GK/corner also given right handed. Throw-ins/FK's given with hand directing the way (ie, defensive would be left hand, attacking right hand). Important to listen to pre-match instructions of referee too as they will tell you how they want you to do mini-signals.

Hope that helps

Another way of thinking about it if you're running alongside the right back ...

The flag should be carried in the hand nearest the halfway line until you need to signal offside, a goal kick, a corner kick, an attacking throw-in or an attacking free kick. At that point, you swap it below your waist, into the hand nearest the goal line, then signal. Always try to move sideways along the line, facing into play, unless you have to turn and sprint to keep yourself in line with the 2nd rearmost defender.

Keep it where the referee can see it clearly!

We are told to hold it so the flag is between you and the referee - switching hands as you, or the ref changes direction.

Generally though, it will be sprinting or crabbing to your right (towards corner flag), with flag in left hand. Or crabbing to your left (towards half way) with flag in left hand. Switch to right hand if you need to turn and run back to half way.

Keep it pointing down while you run as well - there's nothing more distracting for the ref than seeing a flag waving around as you sprint alongside the right winger.

Change hands in front of you and use the hand you want to signal direction in. Offside, goal kick and corners though will always be with the right.

Top tip as well mate, when flagging for a throw in or corner, don't watch your flag!! We've all been there and done it!!

Left hand unless running towards the halfway line or signalling

Last edited:
In Canada, we have an additional directive that asks Assistant Referees to transfer the flag into the right hand whilst crabbing when within 18 yards from the goal line. The thought process being that one will most likely be required to have a quick sprint out or a goal-kick/corner-kick/offside signal to make in that area as opposed to a lot more movement. Does that exist in the UK?

Back