A&H

Where to publish article?

RefJef

RefChat Addict
I've written a piece (circa a thousand words) on my first year as a referee. It's a reasonably light hearted look at the trials and tribulations of a first season in the middle.

I write because I quite like doing so, but it is always more rewarding when your work has a wider audience.

I offered the piece to When Saturday Comes, who quite liked it, but have published a few articles of late from the referee's perspective.

Any suggestions as to where else I could hawk my wares? Worst case scenario I'll publish it on my blog, garunteeing a readership of one (me!)

The Referee Store
In the blog section?

Sorry, I'd forgotten that existed (iirc new blog posts used to pop up in the unread items?)

Looking forward to this as I am newly qualified this year as well. Didn't do much adult football so maybe not as interesting a year as you!

Good Luck with this, looking forward to seeing it. I should write one after 10 years service... what I've learned, what i'd do differently, the names I've been called!!! :)

If you're not looking for recompense for it, send it to The Telegraph, The Guardian etc. Newspapers are always looking for content, and if they don't have to pay for it as well... (oh, and don't forget your own local newspaper).

Well orated Redjef, we both started with the same mad reasons... I hope you're still enjoying it in 10 years time....

I’m sure we can all empathise with lots or your first year findings, the good, the bad and sometimes the ugly. 10 years down the line I can see similarities with my own first season.

As I grew in experience I was often drafted to the arse end teams, the expected problem teams where Mr ******* was required, as I look back, I was well suited to the role as I had no requirement to go any higher. I’ve made contact with a few of the worst nightmares players since those days and surprisingly they liked my style but they weren’t saying that at the time. I hated the choirboy games as I was well used to the ruff and tough games with fights and mass confrontations. They learned not to verbally attack me as the decision once made had no reverse gear. You’ll learn a few tricks as you gain experience, slowing games down if it’s becoming techy and letting certain things slide in the right moment. Manage the event and don’t try and be the centre of attention when not required.
Happy refereeing going forward and welcome to the madhouse...

Last edited:
An enjoyable read, content which I am sure we can all relate to.

Glad to hear I am not the only person that refereeing has become an obsession for.

Glad to see you've enjoyed year 1... here is to many more years for you @RefJef

Very impressive read RefJef. Sad to hear about that referee who quit after his first game - if only he could of had a mentor there to help, we may be in a situation with one more referee still with us

Back