A&H

When the Ref usurps the VAR's call!!!

The Referee Store
Helps that everyone in the stadium is watching this on the screen and immediately knows why the decision is given. Also helps that there's nothing subjective for the referee to have an opinion on - the player with the "ball" either plants his foot outside the FOP or doesn't.

Helps that everyone in the stadium is watching this on the screen and immediately knows why the decision is given. Also helps that there's nothing subjective for the referee to have an opinion on - the player with the "ball" either plants his foot outside the FOP or doesn't.
Yep, they're telling us something those egg chasers... Been in RL for 20 years, clear, fair, obvious and works very efficiently and adds to the drama!!

No grey areas in rugby with TMO, the incidents are visible to the crowd on screen the ref is miked up for the viewers @ home & over the tannoy in ground, the onfield ref / video ref discuss the incident together ultimately coming to a decision.

Foul play is foul play in rugby, punch eye gauge, stamp etc nothing is left to interpretation like football.

It’ll always do football more harm than good, it’ll always be inconsistent in football & will always cause controversy purely because giving a pen or red card in football is often not black or white unlike Rugby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rugby is run by intelligent people however; and organisations which have not (yet) been exposed as institutionally corrupt. The game hasn't been ruined so much by money. Football remains my preferred sport, but I do despair with it. I'd like to see VAR succeed, but there are some serious issues to overcome. Maybe if FIFA had focused on dissent and cheating during the World Cup, the tournament may have given VAR a platform on which to do it's thing. Instead, many of the games have gone south

It’ll always do football more harm than good, it’ll always be inconsistent in football & will always cause controversy purely because giving a pen or red card in football is often not black or white unlike Rugby.

OTOH, I think it benefits the game. The subjectivity and the drama is part and parcel. Football is flexible because of this; I think the differences culturally in football stems from these relaxed set of rules that have wiggle room. Plenty of former elite level referees have acknowledged this as well, you wouldn't referee an European match in the way you'd do in England, because the expectations are different even if we're all singing off the same Law book.

Back