A&H

When is a substitution complete?

Jim Garrett

So I am 99% sure on when I would say a substitution is complete however I want to double check.

I would say a sub is complete the second he has stepped of the pitch.

However it could be when you are notified he is being substituted or it could be when the replacing player comes on.

I ask as there may be confusion should a play commit violent conduct as he is being replaced or about to come on as a sub.

The Referee Store
The biggest piece of advice I can give is whenever you have a law query, consult the laws first. That's the only way you'll build your thorough knowledge. This is actually answered explicitly in the LOTG - the sub is complete when the sub comes on in accordance with the LOTG.

So, a player leaves but the sub hasn't come on (or came on before the player left, thus not in accordance with the LOTG), then commits VC? The team plays a player down.

The biggest piece of advice I can give is whenever you have a law query, consult the laws first. That's the only way you'll build your thorough knowledge. This is actually answered explicitly in the LOTG - the sub is complete when the sub comes on in accordance with the LOTG.

So, a player leaves but the sub hasn't come on (or came on before the player left, thus not in accordance with the LOTG), then commits VC? The team plays a player down.
Sound advice

CapnBloodbeard makes a good point. Know the laws.

Jim - say you are an asssitant carrying out a sub. Player comes off, and the player coming on is waiting at the halfway line. He doesn't enter the FOP, and goes straight down the touchline to take a throw-in. Is this allowed? Have a look at the laws of the game and come back to me.

CapnBloodbeard makes a good point. Know the laws.

Jim - say you are an asssitant carrying out a sub. Player comes off, and the player coming on is waiting at the halfway line. He doesn't enter the FOP, and goes straight down the touchline to take a throw-in. Is this allowed? Have a look at the laws of the game and come back to me.

No they must enter the field of play first.

Back