A&H

Whats up with different pay per match? Frankly at the moment it looks further south you go better pay.

Kref

So in my county FA for men's matches you get £25 and 30p a mile for petrol. And another age group like U14 you get £18 a match and 30p a mile for petrol. But if you go just one county FA south you get £22 a match and 30p a mile for U14. And thats not even mentioning London where for like U14 I saw it was like £25-30 a match. Why is the pay per match so different in each FA?

The Referee Store
So in my county FA for men's matches you get £25 and 30p a mile for petrol. And another age group like U14 you get £18 a match and 30p a mile for petrol. But if you go just one county FA south you get £22 a match and 30p a mile for U14. And thats not even mentioning London where for like U14 I saw it was like £25-30 a match. Why is the pay per match so different in each FA?
It's different by competition. Different Juniour leagues in the same county FA might charge different. The league sets the fees as part of its comp rules.

Everything is more expensive the further South you go, so it stands to reason that the match fees follow suit. Bad example to use as we are obviously all athletes who look after our bodies, but I'm from Yorkshire where I can get a pint for £3, the same beer where I live in London is edging ever closer to the £7 mark. A £150,000 flat in Sheffield would go for £750,000 in London, basically everything is much more expensive.

Typically adult leagues in the London area are now £40 flat match fees. Junior level county cup games are £40, £30 for ARs, plus 35p per mile.

There's at least one OA league in Manchester has a £45 flat fee for a middle
In fairness, cost of living in Manchester has risen probably more than London in recent years. It is supply and demand, offer £25 fees in London, South East England and big cities like Manchester and a lot of referees just won't do it. Offer the same fees in other areas and they will.

In fairness, cost of living in Manchester has risen probably more than London in recent years. It is supply and demand, offer £25 fees in London, South East England and big cities like Manchester and a lot of referees just won't do it. Offer the same fees in other areas and they will.
Seems to me it is a very broken supply and demand model--with as many games as you all talk about not having refs, supply and demand would suggest the fees would be going up to entice people to become (and remain) refs. It seems that in many places leagues don't believe that the law of supply and demand applies to refs.

Seems to me it is a very broken supply and demand model--with as many games as you all talk about not having refs, supply and demand would suggest the fees would be going up to entice people to become (and remain) refs. It seems that in many places leagues don't believe that the law of supply and demand applies to refs.
Yeah for me personally the example in question that I used when I posed this question was basically since I actually also referee in that league in the county FA just below mine, but for those matches I try and get them closer to home as I know some refs who aren't willing to travel like 1hour+ to a match and back. Even just £4 more might sound like a lot but when you compare it to how much I get paid for a match its pretty substantial. And at the moment a fair few refs from my County FA have left and switched to the one below. And that makes me think that, that league might have an idea it is poaching refs off the other county.

So in my county FA for men's matches you get £25 and 30p a mile for petrol.

I'm in Somerset and that's the going rate here too. ;)

Outside of that, it's a £30 flat fee (no travel reimbursement).

I'm in Somerset and that's the going rate here too. ;)

Outside of that, it's a £30 flat fee (no travel reimbursement).

Just up the road in South Gloucestershire its the same in the local leagues. As an exiled Manc I haven't found a decent post match pint yet down here, especially not that apple enfused rocket juice you all sup

I'm in East Scotland where the local youth league is £40 whatever age group I do (13s right through to 19s) and even the open age I do on Saturday afternoons are £40. No travel expenses.

Here in Hampshire:
Supply League Middle £65, AR £45 all inclusive
Step 7 Middle (no AR’s) £45 all inclusive
County Div 1 Middle (Step 8 if it existed) £40 all inclusive
Not sure on the local league stuff as haven’t done one for a while now - but it used to be £25 +miles.

Did a Southampton Senior Cup game on Tuesday - that was £30/£20 plus miles.

Here in Hampshire:
Supply League Middle £65, AR £45 all inclusive
Step 7 Middle (no AR’s) £45 all inclusive
County Div 1 Middle (Step 8 if it existed) £40 all inclusive
Not sure on the local league stuff as haven’t done one for a while now - but it used to be £25 +miles.

Did a Southampton Senior Cup game on Tuesday - that was £30/£20 plus miles.

kinell, i'm moving! my supply game tonight is 43 + expenses

My old supply league was 45 all in, this was North West and 3 years ago. Can't say if its changed since then.
However, when I moved down to Cornwall it was 35 plus mileage and has now moved to a flat fee which is currently 60.

The difference being here is the travelling. I can be travelling an hour each way, 100 miles + where as before I had grounds I could walk to and would be unlucky to be travelling much more than 30 mins.

So yes, £60 face value sounds great, and is when just up the road but that is balanced by the long journeys east for me.

Same as @JamesL here. My longest trip for my supply league would give me a match fee of £91 at your rate. My game this weekend which is an average distance for me to travel would net me £72 (using contrib rate of 34p per mile)
£65 sounds a lot and I do sometimes get games which are very close to home, but over the season it nets out.

Reactions: es1
My old supply league was 45 all in, this was North West and 3 years ago. Can't say if its changed since then.
However, when I moved down to Cornwall it was 35 plus mileage and has now moved to a flat fee which is currently 60.

The difference being here is the travelling. I can be travelling an hour each way, 100 miles + where as before I had grounds I could walk to and would be unlucky to be travelling much more than 30 mins.

So yes, £60 face value sounds great, and is when just up the road but that is balanced by the long journeys east for me.

to be fair my last game was 60 miles away and it took nearly two hours each way, though typically i didnt drive. scarborough is a right ball ache to get to! that said it's the exception to the rule and generally i'm not going far, tonight is 15/20 mins max

Back