A&H

Whatever happened to humour?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Referee Store
Younger people are typically more more precious than us older farts in this new world of ours. It's gone way too far. Unless you're 'safe refereeing', someone will soon cry foul. I think there's probably those of us who would readily click 'report', whilst it wouldn't occur to others. I'm inclined to think that this will cause mild offence, but therein lies the problem. It's a pertinent subject because we need to let comments slide off us when dressed in black

Younger people are typically more more precious than us older farts in this new world of ours. It's gone way too far. Unless you're 'safe refereeing', someone will soon cry foul. I think there's probably those of us who would readily click 'report', whilst it wouldn't occur to others. I'm inclined to think that this will cause mild offence, but therein lies the problem.
Ha. What you call "precious", I call "considerate".

You might feel like you should have a right to go around spouting whatever racist or offensive terms pop into your head - and in isolation, the right to free speech is a thing that we absolutely should value. But the point is, nothing that leaves your mouth (or keyboard) does exist in isolation. And when you put your right to free speech up against a minority's right to not be harassed and offended in their day-to-day life, I know which side of the line I come down on.

The other thing we need to remember is that this forum is much more analogous to someone's house than it is to the high street. If I go to someone's house and they ask me to take my shoes off (or y'know, not use racist language), I can either comply or refuse. If I refuse, it then shouldn't come as a huge surprise if I'm either asked to leave, or at the very least, not invited back very often. Similarly, the forum mods can impose any rule they like - and if someone chooses not to follow them, they can expect to not be invited back. Doesn't matter what the rule is either: If mods introduced a rule banning use of the word "lozenge", you can either comply or leave, regardless of how ridiculous you think that rule is.

It's a pertinent subject because we need to let comments slide off us when dressed in black
If you're wearing black and letting offensive and racist comment slide off, then I'd argue you're not doing your job in that context either. You're supposed to punish those comments with a red card, worrying about being called a "snowflake" if you send someone off for racism is a seriously misplaced priority.

You might feel like you should have a right to go around spouting whatever racist or offensive terms pop into your head
And when have I ever done that? Indeed, if i was the sensitive type, I'd report you for making this false allegation, based on blinkered misunderstanding

A false allegation of racism is worse than being racist itself because it undermines all genuine claims, so think about what you write before defaulting to the lame attitude typical of the trend being discussed
If you're wearing black and letting offensive and racist comment slide off
and why would I want to do that?

Last edited:

You might feel like you should have a right to go around spouting whatever racist or offensive terms pop into your head - and in isolation, the right to free speech is a thing that we absolutely should value. But the point is, nothing that leaves your mouth (or keyboard) does exist in isolation. And when you put your right to free speech up against a minority's right to not be harassed and offended in their day-to-day life, I know which side of the line I come down on.

The other thing we need to remember is that this forum is much more analogous to someone's house than it is to the high street. If I go to someone's house and they ask me to take my shoes off (or y'know, not use racist language), I can either comply or refuse. If I refuse, it then shouldn't come as a huge surprise if I'm either asked to leave, or at the very least, not invited back very often. Similarly, the forum mods can impose any rule they like - and if someone chooses not to follow them, they can expect to not be invited back. Doesn't matter what the rule is either: If mods introduced a rule banning use of the word "lozenge", you can either comply or leave, regardless of how ridiculous you think that rule is.

If you're wearing black and letting offensive and racist comment slide off, then I'd argue you're not doing your job in that context either. You're supposed to punish those comments with a red card, worrying about being called a "snowflake" if you send someone off for racism is a seriously misplaced priority.

I’d like to add to this that the majority of the people we all discuss topics with on here are completely anonymous. We don’t know their name, background, heritage, race etc so the comments made which you may think people are being precious about can deeply offend any number of people on here

The other thing to remember is any member clicking report doesn't get someone banned. It then gets looked at by the Mods, who decide whether it is or isn't worthy of the report and they then decide on any sanction. That (i would think) would be on the severity of the offence and also the history of the offender.

I've just reported this post because you've used the word "lozvfge"......
Whilst I take your point that nobody should suffer abuse or offense.....and here's the but....we all need to be able to lighten up and take a long look at ourselves......is a comment about a female footballer going home to a sink full of pots really sexist?....really? Or is it in fact, more an observation about those players partners that have been stereotyped as "Male chauvanistic" types whether of that gender or any?
The word snowflake gets bandied about rather a lot....its a good word for some of the sensitive souls of this generation....sometimes we just need to woman or man up and take it on the chin....life is a very sorry place without humour.

I've said it before on the forum, but it's the false claims of prejudice which get my goat. Pitiful
I'm off to watch my Bernard Manning DVDs (remastered from VHS)... goodnight

is a comment about a female footballer going home to a sink full of pots really sexist?....really?

Yes.

I have tried to bite my tongue but time and time again comments like that are made and some (not directing this at you) seem unaware of the implications of such posts. Suggesting a footballer is going home to a sink full of pots purely because of their sex is despicable. Attempting to pass it off as 'humour' doesn't cut it either - it isn't in any way funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back