A&H

What Other Hobbies/Interests Do You Have Apart From Refereeing?

Kes

I'll Decide ...
Just throwing it out there. :)
We have over 1400 members on here, so lets hear it. :cool:

My "other" hobby is shooting.
I have a private firearms licence and indulge in a spot of pest control for a couple of local farmers.
I don't get out with my guns as much as I used to since taking up refereeing but enjoy just being out in the countryside for a day or two with nobody around but me, the peace and quiet, my rifle and my flask. Very therapeutic. :)

What else do you do? :)

The Referee Store
Does work count as a hobby?

I play snooker, well I try anyway. :p
Just at a league match now actually.

Reactions: Kes
I run the Development Centre for a local non league football club.

Over 200 kids ranging from 8 to 18....Plus associated coaches etc.....keeps me busy.

In fact, work often gets in the way of football!

I'm into flying and gliding. Been flying planes since 2013 and now getting into gliding. I have a one week intensive course In Talgarth, Wales in two weeks to get my solo qualification, so that should be fun :)

I also do quite a lot of running, cycling and sailing (when it's warm).

Just before I toured Afghanistan, I got quite into shooting (through all the pre-deployment training). I was actually quite good at it, good groupings from short-medium distances. It always interested me to get into competition shooting but never really found the time.

Reactions: Kes
I'm into flying and gliding. Been flying planes since 2013 and now getting into gliding. I have a one week intensive course In Talgarth, Wales in two weeks to get my solo qualification, so that should be fun :)

I also do quite a lot of running, cycling and sailing (when it's warm).

Just before I toured Afghanistan, I got quite into shooting (through all the pre-deployment training). I was actually quite good at it, good groupings from short-medium distances. It always interested me to get into competition shooting but never really found the time.

Many many moons ago, I qualified solo on gliders......

More recently I used to do a fair bit of safety boat cover for sailing events.....although I haven't for the last couple of years.

I run the Development Centre for a local non league football club.

Over 200 kids ranging from 8 to 18....Plus associated coaches etc.....keeps me busy.

In fact, work often gets in the way of football!

My 15 year old son's life has tended to dominate my weekend activity.
In the last 3 years he's been at first, Yeovil Town FC academy, but now since changing codes, is terrorising defences as a centre at Bristol RFC academy!!
Before he took my life over, I also worked as a Level 1 football coach (under 10's), Level 2 Athletics coach, and a Pool lifeguard. The latter being the only thing I got paid for obviously.
These days, when I'm not refereeing or watching sport on the TV (spare time obviously) or ferrying my son everywhere, I can be found sat out in the middle of nowhere in my 4x4 with a rifle, enjoying the solitude and the connection with nature. :)

Spend my summers playing cricket for a local team. Used to play county and regional table tennis until about 12 months ago when reffing started getting a little bit more serious than just the Sunday junior league.

You are a man with hidden depths padders. This thread reveals more about you than all the other threads in the forum put together. :)

Aside from exercise based hobbies to keep fitness up (squash, gym etc) my other hobby would be music. Love a bit of guitar, although my wife will tell you I am rubbish at it. She is of course unable to tell you a riff from a chord progression, but hey everyone's an expert! I learned her favourite song years ago and was playing it chord for chord one day for her - nothing. Sang the vocals for her and she got it eventually. :)

Usual stuff with ferrying kids to various sports they are involved in also

nice to see football bringing people from all walks of life together as it goes
outside of reffing, i play football for a local vets side on a saturday
i'm an amateur taxi driver(3 kids :) )
i play racketball, padel tennis and real tennis (none of those to any notable standard, but i have set a Guinness world record at real tennis!)
also i watch a hell of a lot of sport, mainly on TV, everything and anything from football to UFC, and in fact looking forward to the world track cycling which starts tonight

Reactions: SM
Telegraph cryptic crosswords (you would be amazed how many times 'ref' appears in a clue), bird watching, play golf off 6, that's it.

Video Games? I do play the PS4 a bit when the ladies go to bed. I'm partial to a bit of Battlefield and FIFA

Rome Total War2 for a treat when the ladies are asleep as above!
2 young daughters under 4 just getting into more regular activities
Composer/musician on the side of the day job - totally addicted to modern composer tools, guitar gear, studio stuff - all the ref income goes straight into that

Not sure QPR season ticket holder counts as a hobby - aren't hobbies supposed to be enjoyable!;)

Bike rides, antiques browsing, gardening - anything really that stops me having to do any DIY/decorating in the house!

Most recently my time has been dominated by the worry of my 18yo son going through his Phase 1 Army training, and prior to that spending months acting as his personal trainer getting fitter and stronger.

My main hobbies are just keeping fit, gym and strength work,with a bit of cricket in the summer thrown in.

Refereeing is currently a 3 day a week job, with all the domestic upheaval and emotional stress I can't do much else.

Back